1. Patients launch $1.27 million crowdfunding campaign for ME/CFS gut microbiome study.
    Check out the website, Facebook and Twitter. Join in donate and spread the word!
Hyperparathyroidism: An Often Overlooked Differential Diagnosis to ME/CFS
Andrew Gladman puts hyperparathyroidism under the microscope, exploring what the disease is, how it can mimic ME/CFS in presentation and how it is treated.
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Faecal transplant eases symptoms of Parkinson's (and CFS)

Discussion in 'Latest ME/CFS Research' started by Bob, Jan 26, 2011.

1. Bob

Bob

South of England
    http://www.newscientist.com/article...-transplant-eases-symptoms-of-parkinsons.html

This is an unusual (and slightly bizarre?) bit of research (featuring 'feacal transplants'!), but it's very interesting, especially for anyone who thinks that gut bacteria might play a role in their ME/CFS. (I've always wondered if my gut or gut bacteria might play a role for my ME, for various reasons.)

The results that they got for CFS and Parkinsons patients look impressive.

Unfortunately you have to sign up to a (free) account to read this article, but I've quoted a relevent bit below.

For your own sakes, please don't attempt to imagine how a faecal transplant might be performed!?!?

ETA. Someone in Russia has kindly posted the complete New Scientist article on their website:
    http://eng.vechnayamolodost.ru/news/news/fatreasyofpas1d.html

2. Cort

Cort Phoenix Rising Founder

Raleigh, NC
    Does anyone have any good faecal material they can send me???

Unfortunately I live alone......no healthy housemates to impose on....

:D:D

In all seriousness I would try it in a heartbeat if it was done properly...

3. Glynis Steele

Glynis Steele Senior Member

Newcastle upon Tyne UK
    allyb likes this.
  4. Sasha

Sasha Fine, thank you

UK
    This must surely be an indication of how desperate we are... :D

aimossy likes this.
  5. wdb

wdb Admin

London
    Okay, I'm going to need to see some serious indisputable proof of efficacy before entertaining that idea.

Is there no way they could just culture the relevant bacteria in slightly more pleasant medium ?

6. SilverbladeTE

SilverbladeTE Senior Member

Somewhere near Glasgow, Scotland
    well, the idea that repeated use of antibiotics seriously damages gut flora is gaining ground as a "sound" idea.
    add in the crazy poisonous stuff we spray on o food, heavy metal poisons in soil etc...seems reasonable to me.

the gut is THE biggest organ by a vast amount, in the body. we now know it's also not merely a "simple tube" but has a huge connection of nervous tissue etc

even if ME/CFS is nto caused by a gut bacteria issue, anything causing bad problems coudl affect teh gut, assuming XMRV is the cause and triggers severe autoimmune response, the "good" gut bacteria could be hammered by this, letting "bad" ones mutiply

ever since I've had ME, I've had very bad constipation and gas, sheesh, bet I could fart "Scotland the Brave" if I tried :p
    before though, I had a cast iron stomach: when folk were "doing a reconstruction of Vesuvius from both ends" with Gandhi's Revenge, lol, I was ok.
    So for me, I think my guts have been affected, somehow.

aimossy likes this.
  7. ixchelkali

ixchelkali Senior Member

Long Beach, CA
    I would sign up in a hot minute if they found it would cure me. But I can't help thinking, if they have trouble finding healthy people to donate blood, how much harder would it be to find fecal donors? I don't even want to think about the campaign ads. Plus, they give blood donors those bragging tee-shirts that say things like "2 gallon blood donor"; I can't see that an equivilant tee-shirt would be popular.;)

8. Crappy

Crappy Senior Member

TX
    Mix it with some Chocolate? Wait you might not notice that.

Bread with mustard or mayo?

EEeeew, you guys are bad influence.

aimossy likes this.
  9. Esther12

Esther12 Senior Member

Got a laugh.

10. kat0465

kat0465 Senior Member

Texas
    wow,i saw an episode of greys anatomy about this,the husband wouldnt give his wife his poo[fighting] lol.......i thought it was a joke!
    if i ever need a transplant,im in luck,hubby is full of it! hehehe

kat

aimossy likes this.
  11. Bob

Bob

South of England
  12. Xandoff

Xandoff Michael

Northern Vermont
    Best laugh I have had in a long time. I hope Mike Myers (Austin Powers) learns about this or the Cohen Brothers because it would make a very funny scene in the movies.

13. alex3619

alex3619 Senior Member

Logan, Queensland, Australia
    Hi everyone, fecal transplantation has been used in Australia since the 90s to treat ME/CFS, but I never heard about fantastic results, only moderate results. This was from talking to Aussie ME/CFS docs, so I don't have any references. Does anyone know if any of this was ever published back then? Bye, Alex

14. leela

leela Slow But Hopeful

Couchland, USA
    This is what the "Progurt" people in Austraia claim to have done. I have not tried it due to excessive cost (last time I checked.) Dunno how cost compares
    with a transpoosion though--could be a more "palatable" option.
    http://www.progurt.com/

15. Bob

Bob

South of England
    The Progurt website doesn't tell you which strains, or how many different strains of bacteria they use. So I think it might possibly be more hype than science. They just say that they use 'multiple' human strains. I'd guess that faecal matter might contain thousands or millions of different strains of bacteria. Progurt's biggest selling point seems to be that it's a potent product, i.e. with large numbers of bacteria, but if it's not transplanted direct to your colon, then the bacteria could die off before they reach the desired part of the digestive tract, and if it doesn't include therapeutic strains, then it wouldn't be helpful anyway. The feacal transplant researchers killed off the existing gut bacteria with antibiotics before the transplants, so that could also make a major difference in the efficacy of this method.

16. leaves

leaves Senior Member

I used progurt
    I liked it, it did something for me at first, but too expensive
    note that it is simply not strong enough to permanently alter the gut (for that you need something like vsl3ds), so I think the main effect is through its effect on your immune system. However with probiotics is not the same as a transplant: you add to your current situation, but with a transplant i can see that you can really replace it (you basically introduce a sustainable new population)

17. dannybex

dannybex Senior Member

Seattle
    Maybe it's something to take seriously?

Perhaps in a Coen film, but fecal transplant research and also transplanting parasites and hookworms actually have many studies to back up their claims of beneficial results in some diseases -- especially some where you would think bad bugs and parasites, worms, would make things worse, not better.

Perhaps with ubiquitous and over use of antibiotics, we've become 'too' clean?

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/20054982

"Epidemiologic studies suggest that people who carry helminths have less immune-mediated disease. Mice colonized with helminths are protected from disease in models of colitis, encephalitis, Type 1 diabetes and asthma."

And that's just one study...

18. SilverbladeTE

Any of you seen "Caddyshack"?
    the pool cleaning scene?
    hehe ;)

19. SilverbladeTE

on more serious note
    as I recalled in chat today...
    wasn't there a doctor who said he coudl diagnose ME/CFS by sulfur dioxide or was it hydrogen sulfide?? levels in the blood, 2 or 3 years ago I recall reading about this

20. sela

sela Senior Member

marin co, ca
    i found some 'do it yourself' instructions on line. some were suggesting a baby diaper.

See more popular forum discussions.