1. Patients launch a $1.27 million crowdfunding campaign for ME/CFS gut microbiome study.
    Check out the website, Facebook and Twitter. Join in donate and spread the word!
9th Invest in ME International ME Conference, 2014 - Part 2: Pathogens and the Gut
Mark Berry continues his series of articles on the 9th Invest in ME International ME Conference in London, with the emphasis shifting from autoimmunity to pathogens and the gut ...
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Facts of the HHS/IOM contract

Discussion in 'Institute of Medicine (IOM) Government Contract' started by Nielk, Nov 17, 2013.

1. Nielk

Nielk

Queens, NY
    HHS/IOM Contract Facts:

HHS has signed a contract with the IOM to re-define ME/CFS.

HHS is spending approximately one million dollars to do so.

HHS refuses to adopt the CCC in defiance of 50 experts, 171 advocates and countless patients.

The contract is not what the CFSAC recommendation called for.

HHS lied when they said they are canceling the action to contract with the IOM.....just to change their mind a week later.

IOM will have non-experts on the panel.

IOM has re-named GWI to CMI and considers CFS a psychogenic disease needing treatments of anti-depressants, CBT and GET.

Government contracts can be broken and canceled.

There was no full and open competition in attaining the HHS/IOM contract.
    Last edited: Nov 19, 2013
    alex3619, justinreilly and dancer like this.
  2. Nielk

Nielk

Queens, NY
    Please post here other true facts so far about the contract that can be added to the bullet point list above. In this way, we can have an easy quick read/reference of facts.
  3. Andrew

Andrew Senior Member

Los Angeles, USA
    The HHS contract doesn't include validity testing. There is no requirement to test a new criteria and see if it can actually differentiate ME/CFS patients from other illnesses. Therefore, any new criteria will NOT be an evidence-based criteria. It will only be an evidence-based hypothesis. The HHS has repeatedly said that any change we suggest to them must be evidence-based. Yet, here they are developing their own criteria, and it will have less testing than the CCC.
    Purple and justinreilly like this.
  4. justinreilly

justinreilly Stop the IoM & P2P! Adopt CCC!

NYC (& RI)
    Nice.

Let me nitpick on one confusing point. You say that IoM considers CFS to be a somatic illness. Somatic means 'bodily' or physical (not psychological). IoM actually considers CFS to be a psychosomatic (i.e. mind-body) illness. (at the risk of getting more confusing, I prefer the term 'psychogenic' (i.e. caused by the mind) illness, since it is more accurate than psychosomatic (since all illnesses have some mind component and some physical component))
  5. Nielk

Nielk

Queens, NY
    Thanks, Justin.

See more popular forum discussions.