• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Face Pain? Sinus pain? Nerve pain? Anyone?

Lillybelle

I notice that besides headaches I also have face pain when I touch forehead eyes eye sockets cheeks and temples. Doctor tried a course of antibiotics doxycyclamine for sinus infection but it did nothing. I suspect its associated with sinusitus as i have been producing phlegm from post nasal drip for around 4years.

Changes in food like eliminating fruit sugar or dairy dont make any difference. Vitamin c calcium ascorbate seem to help slightly with phlegm production. Anyone else have face or cranial pain? Any suggestions

rosie26

Hi Lillybelle

I had this very bad in the severe years. The sore, tender eye socket area really used to worry me, especially below bottom eyelid. Facial bone pain and aching. I had severe sinusitis. I was on antibiotic's for 6 months straight, changing to different antibiotic's during that period.

Doxycycline made my sinuses feel more out of control. It did open my sinuses up but I felt it wasn't protecting my stomach from the toxic stuff that was coming out of my sinuses as it was burning my stomach and I could feel it burning all around my intestines.

For the first two years of my ME, I had to put my head over a basin/bowl of hot water with towel over my head to help my sinuses open and drain as they were just not working properly - it was like my sinuses were completely exhausted and non functioning. It was very difficult to do this twice a day as I could barely sit up in a chair, I was so physically weak.
But after two years my sinuses started to function a bit better and I was able to stop. But I still get the aches in the face and sinuses if I have overdone things but not as severely. So I would recommend this if you are able to do it. x

PNR2008

I had that eye socket pain just this last week before going to ER for sinus problems. It had been going on for 2-3 weeks but since the color was clear I thought I had just congestion. Then a stressful event changed that and the pain was around my eye going into my temple.

A chest X-ray showed bronchitis and I was given Zithromycin (which I can tolerate) but also a cough med and albuterol. I used all three and was amazed at all the junk that came out of my nose and
throat. I'm beginning to feel like I have a face again. Before the bronchitis I was using a netti Pot and doing some cranial release exercises, still I got sick. I wonder if anything can be done to thwart this condition before it turns to brochitits which makes me very ill and once turned into pneumonia.

Lillybelle

Dear @rosie26 and @PNR2008 thanks for sharing your experiences. Rosie you poor thing,its horrible that very few understand the disability of this disease.
The Sinusitus can be debilitating and exhausting. I am constinuing with a EUCO Steam Inhaler that envelopes nose and mouth,morning and night. And recently I have been to see a naturopath with whom Ive done some breathing retraining. This trainiing has helped with the volume of ongoing phlegm and also my asthma and sleeping.

You can find more scientific info on this here:
http://www.timaltman.com.au/Breathing_Dynamics.php
Ladies I'm sure Tim would do a Skype consult with you if you are interested in pursuiing this further.
Of course only Australian health rebates apply. Mind you he charges about 75% less than most people treating cfs here in Melb.

rosie26

Hi Lillybelle

Glad to hear you have a Steam Inhaler. I don't think I could have coped without one. It was like a safety net when I finally came off the antibiotic's, it gave me confidence that I could manage without the antibiotic's.

Regarding Doxycycline, since posting my above reply post #2 I read an interesting post by @Ema ( I don't know how to link to her post but it was in the thread titled "Antibiotic Doxy - Need advice w Probiotic" posted by @Inester7 . It is in the General Treatment Forum. ) Ema, said that Doxycycline is only bacteriostatic at doses less than 4-500mg a day. Which means it will keep bacteria from replicating.... but it won't kill them. It becomes bactericidal at higher doses.

I don't know what dose you were on when you took Doxy, but I realize now my doctor had given me too low a dose for the job required.
x

justy

Donate Advocate Demonstrate
yes - face, sinus pain and pressure on and off for years. also intense eye pain - think form a different cause. Contant post nasal drip, causing chest/lung infections. Flu now and sinuses stuffed up, haywire all over again!!

I notice when I sneeze unpleasant smell? could this be sinus infection? phlegm ususally whitish or clear though.

why are we so prone to sinus issues I wonder?

Martial

Inflammation and mold accumulation are huge triggers of sinusitis.

Also there is a sinus anti bacterial spray called Xlear which works great to clear out any irratating pathogens and infection.

Hello..
I know this, I have pain on the sinus and temples frequently (when I have my "inflammation" of my brain du certainly to my lyme disease)

when it happened, it take :
- black coal on little water and then on the mouth for ten minutes (4/days, it work for me)
- aurum metallicum 5ch 3- 3 times per day
- phosphorus 9ch 3-3times per day
- bryonia 9ch 3-3times per day
- hyperycum perforatum 15ch 3-2 times per day

it works with me :)

anna8

I too have these symptoms, facial pain nasal drip with an unpleasant smell, I think it could be ca dental issue that is called jaw bone cavitation or other dental issues. The more I look into jaw bone cavitation the more I think many people have this problem! This is a controversial subject but do your own homework please and see what you think.

The condition is basically dead bone or chronic bone infection that are so hard to detect with exrays etc.. And most doctor or dentists are not trained to look for them!

Anna x

IreneF

I got overt sinus infections about every six months until I started taking generic Claritin every day. I don't have the energy to do a neti pot. I still have sinus pain all the time but it's not as bad, and I don't get dried out, bloody mucus.

I had to take double courses of antibiotics and I always got yeast infections.

Coffee seems to help, but it sometimes upsets my stomach. It's often a contest between head and gut.

rosie26

I tried Claritine in my first week of collapse in ME and it was wicked - never again. Good luck to anyone else who tries. As for me - never again.