New Atmosphere, New Vision: Gibson and Whittemore Kick Off Invest in ME Conference 2016
Mark Berry reports on Dr. Gibson's introduction and Dr. Whittemore's keynote speech, at the 11th Invest in ME International ME Conference in London.
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Eysenck’s contribution to CBT for physical health problems: fraudulent data

Discussion in 'Other Health News and Research' started by Daisymay, May 30, 2016.

1. Daisymay

Daisymay Senior Member

Webdog, Asa, Countrygirl and 5 others like this.
  2. A.B.

A.B. Senior Member

I made a comment to try and draw attention to the widespread use of methods that can easily generate false positive results for CBT.

It's hard to believe but it's possible that this sort of self-deception or fraud (hard to prove) may have been going on since the days of Eysenck. Which means that a lot of money has been wasted, directly and indirectly. Just because it's widespread and accepted within the circle of the UK psych academic community doess't mean it's right.

Justin30, Webdog, Asa and 7 others like this.
  3. Skippa

Skippa Anti-BS

Sounds like a lot of money saved if I were a governmental financier ;)

Daisymay likes this.
  4. Invisible Woman

Invisible Woman Senior Member

The page is not available now - I've even tried a couple of different browsers.

5. Bob

Bob

England (south coast)
    When i first came across the corruption in the CFS field in relation to CBT/GET, I thought the bold and bare-faced exaggeration and lies on the part of the researchers, selective citation and self-citation, ugly and aggressive self-promotion, corrupt clinical practices, and general public/media ignorance about the issues, were unique to the CFS field. As time has gone by I've had my eyes opened to a broad underbelly of academic corruption, in relation to biopsychosocial/cognitive-behavioural research and practices, which I initially had no idea about. Unfortunately the impact of these practices has a disproportional negative impact on ME/CFS for so many reasons. But it seems that we are not unique targets, which means that we have allies when challenging the practices. Some academics have been challenging it for perhaps decades.

Last edited: May 30, 2016
    PhoenixDown, PatJ, TiredSam and 16 others like this.
  6. Bob

Bob

England (south coast)
    The page is available now.

Invisible Woman likes this.
  7. Invisible Woman

Invisible Woman Senior Member

Nope, the link doesn't work. However, found the post by just going to the blogs page and selecting it.

Bob likes this.
  8. Marco

Marco Grrrrrrr!

Near Cognac, France
    Yes, well, indeed!

9. chipmunk1

chipmunk1 Senior Member

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cognitive_behavioral_therapy

Google Chrome finds the word "Eysenck" 5 times on this page.

green_monster and Bob like this.
  10. Asa

Asa Senior Member

11. Asa

Asa Senior Member

Only half way through Coyne's (history) piece... Good Lord, the drama connected to this disease never ends! ME history, politics, mad "scientists", real scientists, affected individuals, families, advocates... Somebody needs to write it all up and sell it to Netflix!

GreyOwl, Bob and BurnA like this.
  12. alex3619

alex3619 Senior Member

Logan, Queensland, Australia
    You could create a documentary style series of episodes, each covering a different thing, moving forward, and starting many decades ago. You need one for PACE, and then one for the aftermath where it all came apart.

mango and Asa like this.
  13. wastwater

wastwater Senior Member

uk
    There could be a part in the film where someone is giving a talk to an audience saying I have a dream and a new vision for the future that one day all illnesses will be treated with CBT then a rapturous applause from the audience

PhoenixDown and Skippa like this.
  14. A.B.

A.B. Senior Member

I feel sorry for Coyne. He makes such an effort to expose fraud and it seems that his article is barely getting any attention. The silence is deafening. Why are UK academics not denouncing this fraud, or at least expressing concern? Is CBT for physical problems too big to fail?

Surreal as so many things in this area.

15. chipmunk1

chipmunk1 Senior Member

After reading this article they are probably busy doing CBT on themselves because of the negative thoughts that were popping up in their heads.

Skippa, Daisymay and Valentijn like this.
  16. sarah darwins

sarah darwins I told you I was ill

Cornwall, UK
    A lot of truth in this, I suspect.

Sean likes this.
  17. alex3619

alex3619 Senior Member

Logan, Queensland, Australia
    This is the essence of Zombie Science. Embed the poor science in political, bureaucratic and business systems and not only will they fund you more they will defend you. The quality of the science then gets overlooked.

mango, Asa, Sean and 3 others like this.
  18. chipmunk1

chipmunk1 Senior Member

See more popular forum discussions.