• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

eye pain /difficulty looking at screens - anything that helps?

alice111

i get a lot of eye pain, this makes it really difficult to look at computers, or read, or look at anything really...

the pain is not horrendous, but the limitations it causes = extreme boredom and feeling like i cant accomplish things since everything these days involves a freakin screen!

suggestions?

anyone have this symptom improve with any treatments?

MikeJackmin

Sometimes eye pain is caused by dryness, but oddly enough, adding liquid does not help. There are oils in your eyes that help maintain a uniform film of moisture across the surface, and sometimes these oils need a little help.

A warm pack across the eyes for a minute or two might be just the ticket, if this is the case for you. My eye doc clued me in to this and it has helped me considerably.

If not, maybe a visit to an eye doc is in order.

justy

Donate Advocate Demonstrate
I found great relief when I was assessed and found to have visual stress issues like people with dyslexia have. I fixed it by buying coloured overlays (purple is best for me, but everyone is different) for my computer and for books - I find it makes so much difference.

alice111

Sometimes eye pain is caused by dryness, but oddly enough, adding liquid does not help. There are oils in your eyes that help maintain a uniform film of moisture across the surface, and sometimes these oils need a little help.

A warm pack across the eyes for a minute or two might be just the ticket, if this is the case for you. My eye doc clued me in to this and it has helped me considerably.

If not, maybe a visit to an eye doc is in order.

Sorry so u are saying eye drops did NOT help?

The warm compress helps the oil? Or u take oil?

alice111

I found great relief when I was assessed and found to have visual stress issues like people with dyslexia have. I fixed it by buying coloured overlays (purple is best for me, but everyone is different) for my computer and for books - I find it makes so much difference.
Would u mind sending me an example of this overlay you are talking about?

justy

Donate Advocate Demonstrate
The glasses are like the overlays but you are assessed to see which colour is best for you and then you don't need the overlays as you have the glasses instead...ive been thinking about getting assessed for some as I am studying and it reduces visual stress.

Misfit Toy

@alice111 -I'm on Restasis. I also use Genteal lubricant eye ointment at night. It works! My eyes bother me a lot. The Restasis does work. It's wicked expensive but I wrote the pharmaceutical company and they assisted me in getting it.

alice111

@alice111 -I'm on Restasis. I also use Genteal lubricant eye ointment at night. It works! My eyes bother me a lot. The Restasis does work. It's wicked expensive but I wrote the pharmaceutical company and they assisted me in getting it.

awesome thanks! just out of curiosity how do those compare to say "systane" eye drops?

Misfit Toy

@alice111 -Restasis actually is supposed to help you make tears. Many people with Sjogrens say it's an eye saver. Many say it did nada. I can't tell.

Systane, I haven't used but I have it. The Genteal gel I like at night because it coats the eyeball and gives you major moisture. When you wake up, you really have to wash around the eyes, but it does work.

My rheumatologist recommends Systane and Genteal.