Severe ME Day of Understanding and Remembrance: Aug. 8, 2017
Determined to paper the Internet with articles about ME, Jody Smith brings some additional focus to Severe Myalgic Encephalomyelitis Day of Understanding and Remembrance on Aug. 8, 2017 ...
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Eye Health for diagnosing ME/CFS?

Discussion in 'Latest ME/CFS Research' started by SpecialK82, Mar 8, 2015.

1. SpecialK82

SpecialK82 Ohio, USA

Ohio, USA
    http://www2.le.ac.uk/offices/press/...diagnose-people-with-chronic-fatigue-syndrome

Dr Dolores M Conroy, Director of Research at Fight for Sight, said: “It’s clear from patients’ self-reports that the visual problems they experience have a marked impact on their quality of life. They also represent distinct, quantifiable, clinical features that could significantly improve diagnosis, provide insights into underlying pathology and represent a candidate for treatment, thereby improving the everyday lives of patients. Fight for Sight is delighted to team up with Thomas Pocklington Trust to fund this important research project, results from which could contribute to visual symptoms being recognised as a key diagnostic feature of CFS.”

2. barbc56

barbc56 Senior Member

That's intriguing. I wonder if the type of eye problems they are studying are specific to me/cfs/seids or similar to the eye problems in other conditions such as MS? I hope they have a control group not only for those without any eye symptoms but for those with other disease related eye problems.

Thanks.

Barb

SpecialK82 likes this.
  3. barbc56

barbc56 Senior Member

On second reading, the title is somewhat misleading as it looks like the foundation is not just looking into eye problems as a diagnostic tool but also the impact of sight problems. I liked their statement that eye symptoms can sometimes be overlooked neglected when it comes to treatment when diagnosed with another condition. Symptoms such as photosensitivity are not to be taken lightly
    dismissed.
    Barb

Believe it or not, I didn't realize the above contained phrases related to light. Not sure if that would be considered a Freudian slip.

Amaya2014, SpecialK82 and Valentijn like this.
  4. Sherlock

Sherlock tart cherry etc. for joints, insomnia

Czechosherlockia, USA
    Is this related to the burning/blurriness in the eyes experienced by people taking interferon, as in HepC?

IOW, can ME/CFS cause a lot of interferon in the eyes, which produces the familiar symptoms? Trying aspirin as an anti-interferon measure didn't help me, though.

barbc56 likes this.
  5. wastwater

wastwater Senior Member

uk
    Could the eyes be a viral reserviour,no idea what virus though.

barbc56 likes this.
  6. SpecialK82

SpecialK82 Ohio, USA

Ohio, USA
    I have all the eye problems discussed in the article. Dry eye, blurriness, itchy irritated, and it seems to worsen as my illness progresses.

barbc56 likes this.
  7. Little Bluestem

Little Bluestem All Good Things Must Come to an End

I developed 'age-related' macular degeneration at a rather early age. I do not know if it is related to ME/SEIDS.

barbc56 likes this.
  8. SDSue

SDSue Southeast

Florida
    Because ME/CFS involves neurological changes, it seems that the nerve fiber layer of the retina would be the best place to look. That happens to be exactly where these researchers found changes in the eyes of Parkinson's patients. Interesting. Full article here.

SpecialK82, barbc56 and Sherlock like this.
  9. cirrus

cirrus

SpecialK82 and barbc56 like this.

See more popular forum discussions.