1. Patients launch $1.27 million crowdfunding campaign for ME/CFS gut microbiome study.
    Check out the website, Facebook and Twitter. Join in donate and spread the word!
9th Invest in ME International ME Conference, 2014 - Part 2: Pathogens and the Gut
Mark Berry continues his series of articles on the 9th Invest in ME International ME Conference in London, with the emphasis shifting from autoimmunity to pathogens and the gut ...
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Extremely low IgA anyone?

Discussion in 'General Treatment' started by Sebby, Oct 9, 2013.

1. Sebby

Sebby

I was recently diagnosed with selective IgA deficiency, my IgA is zero in blood and also in my gut. This could explain why I have had tons of sore throats, diarrheas and other lining infections through my life.

I suspect that this could be the cause why my gut health is so poor and maybe this is leading to my ME/CFS.

I know mainstream medicine offers no solution for IgA deficiency but is there maybe something out there that could increase IgA? Does anyone here also have low IgA?
  2. Ema

Ema Senior Member

Midwest USA
    If you also have IgG subclass deficiencies, you might benefit from IVIG.

Otherwise, really all you can do is try to treat the infections with antibiotics, etc. It's far from a perfect solution, as you know.

You might try colostrum but I'm not sure if it would work though it is generally though to be beneficial to immune health.

Ema
    Sebby likes this.
  3. Gemini

Gemini Senior Member

There are a couple here with low IgA. An early ME/CFS immune system study turned up patients with it. By any chance were you also tested for autoantibodies to IgA?

The Immune Deficiency Foundation (IDF) has information & holds conferences where speakers address it.
    SOC likes this.
  4. Sebby

Sebby

That is really interesting about the study regarding IgA and CFS/ME. Do you know more about it or do you have any links?

No I wasn't tested for autoantibodies to IgA but I was told that it is highly likely that I would have adverse reaction if I would be given non-washed blood if this is what you mean?

But somehow my gut is telling me that my complete absence of IgA has big effect on my illness.
  5. helen1

helen1 Senior Member

B.C., Canada
    Interesting topic. I have low secretory IgA, is that the same thing as what you call gut IgA? I did manage to double my sIgA levels in 4 months from a low of 14 up to 30 with 2-3x week massages and no stress. At least that's what I think caused the increase. My level has dropped back to 24 since discontinuing the massages.

sIgA production requires glutathione, phosphotadyl choline, zinc, essential fatty acids, Vit C, glycine, healthy levels of cortisol and DHEA and a functioning IL5 enzyme. I'm homozygous for that one unfortunately.

My cortisol was high before my flurry of massages, and I'm pretty sure the (new) lack of stress combined with the massages are what brought those levels to a close to normal level, helping sIgA production along the way. So anything that creates a relaxation response should help, plus those nutrients mentioned, probiotics, especially s.boulardii, licorice root and digestive enzymes.

A level of zero is very concerning. I hope you get more responses to help you with that.
    Beyond likes this.
  6. globalpilot

globalpilot Senior Member

Ontario
    Hi Sebby,
    I'm pretty sure the IgA in your gut has to come from the blood , so I'm not sure measures to increase SigA would work in your case. I have quite low SIgA in stool but blood is normal. I wonder if yours is a primary immune deficiency. I agree with you that it could be the cause of your CFS.
    I hope there is something that can be done for you. I haven't done any research in this area but I imagine you need a good immunologist to deal with this.
    helen1 likes this.
  7. Gavman

Gavman Senior Member

Sydney
    Yeah my doc recommended sacc boullardii for this.
  8. Sebby

Sebby

No, I only have IgA deficiency which is in my case called Selective IgA deficiency. All my other Immunoglobulins are normal including IgG subclasses.

Yes, it's coming into gut from blood. Both of my gut and blood levels of IgA are zero or below detectable levels.

Do you also suffer from Selective IgA deficiency? Could you please tell me a bit more about sacc boullardii? Thanks!
  9. Gavman

Gavman Senior Member

Sydney
    Apparently it helps push it higher.. the advice is from back a few months ago now but sacc boullardii is used while people are on antibiotics and for travelers diarrhea. But IgA deficiency creates food sensitivity problems.
  10. Gemini

Gemini Senior Member

Link referenced is, "Immunologic Abnormalities in Chronic Fatigue Syndrome," Klimas, et al, 1990, which mentions low IgA among many ME/CFS immune system abnormalities found; the paper focuses on NK cells as the most consistent abnormality. I don't know of any studies that have focused specifically on low IgA in ME/CFS or that have suggested low IgA is a cause of ME/CFS though. It's an interesting question.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/2166084

The Mayo Clinic Pathology Lab offered a test for IgA autoantibodies as did Red Cross Reference Labs. The Red Cross Rare Blood Donor Program maintains supplies of blood depleted of IgA for tranfusion to patients with autoantibodies, similarily for patients with IgA autoantibodies who require gammaglobulin treatment, commercial products depleted of IgA are available. A clinical immunologist would be helpful in testing for autoantibodies.
    SOC likes this.
  11. Ema

Ema Senior Member

Midwest USA
    So Medscape has this to say about the serum vs secretory IgA:

I wonder if the reverse is also always true...does low secretory IgA also mean low serum IgA?
  12. Gemini

Gemini Senior Member

13. Sebby

Sebby

Thanks for the links! What is that forum that you mentioned about IgA deficiency?

Yeah I think low secretory IgA could mean low blood IgA but not necessarily. If you have extremely low IgA like I do (way below the lowest normal point) then having also low blood IgA is likely at least in my opinion. Because as far as I know you can have low SIgA also in severe stress but I don't think it would go so extremely low as in true Selective IgA deficiency.
  14. Gemini

Gemini Senior Member

Immune Deficiency Foundation (IDF) discussion forums/groups for immune deficiencies incl. IgA:

www.idffriends.org

Also a Patient Handbook is available on-line or hardcopy under "Resources" at:

www.primaryimmune.org
  15. lnester7

lnester7 Seven

USA
  16. Misfit Toy

Misfit Toy Senior Member

I also have low IgA and low iGg. But yes, low IgA and Celiac. I have all kinds of GI issues. It is from blood work.

See more popular forum discussions.