• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Extreme reaction to methylfolate

Recent research has shown that those with TCN2 776C→G polymorphism are prone to peripheral neuropathies and nerve damage when exposed to greater than 800mcg of folate per day. (See: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/27733392)

I've also had serious negative reactions to methylfolate, with two ER visits last year due to a 7-day trial of high MF intake (15mg). Nine months later, I am still experiencing symptoms from that misguided trial. MF is powerful, powerful stuff.

Interesting! I do wonder about the folate though, is it folic acid or methylfolate? There is a lot of research, but they rarely elaborate about the form of folate.

What kind of symptoms did you get from 15 mg methylfolate?

pattismith

Interesting! I do wonder about the folate though, is it folic acid or methylfolate? There is a lot of research, but they rarely elaborate about the form of folate.

What kind of symptoms did you get from 15 mg methylfolate?

When no specific mention is made about which B9 is involved in the study, it is usually Folic acid;

Any way, my first trial with MethylF was not very good, and I carry two unfrequent missense mutations on TCN2, so I will follow this track in the future...

"RESULTS:
Odds of neuropathy were 3-fold higher for GG genotypes than for CC genotypes (OR: 3.33; 95% CI: 1.15, 9.64). When folate intake was >2 times the Recommended Dietary Allowance (800 μg), GG genotypes had 6.9-fold higher odds of neuropathy than CC genotypes (OR: 6.9; 95% CI: 1.31, 36.36). There was no difference between the genotypes in the odds of peripheral neuropathy when folate intake was ≤800 μg (OR: 1.5; 95% CI: 0.18, 12.33).

CONCLUSION:
The TCN2 776C→G polymorphism is associated with increased odds of peripheral neuropathy in the elderly, even with a normal vitamin B-12 status, especially if their folate intake is >2 times the Recommended Dietary Allowance."