• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

extreme back problems pain anyone have home remedies? HELP

hurtingallthetimet

i have alot of back problems and siatica nerve problems pain numbness tingling down legs etc..etc.. i have the pain all over from the fibro and have always hurt in between shoulders upper back but never had the problems like lower back until now..

i fell a little while ago on stairs and then on gate to keep animals from upstairs...i fell so hard my hubby on phone in closed door rooms away heard the hit on the floor alot of brusing and pain but now im in the most extreme pain upper middle back rotating downt o already messed up lower back...in between shoulders killing me..

i know the thing to do is go to doctor but i cant afford it..i just cant...please anyone have any home remeides? ive done heating pad...morphine...other pain medications and tens unit..and i am in still so much pain im throwing up...ive never hurt this bad in between shoulders this started after the fall and i think i must have done seomthing..but again i can not in any way afford er or doctor test...i just really need help with any home rememdies that ive not tried that doesnt cost anytihng.....please...last night was beyond horrible...i took extra pain medication to help fall asleep some...im in such extrememe pain and crying now...

Calathea

Yikes, you poor thing, this sounds horrible. Here are the things which work for me.

1) Trying different combinations of meds. Sometimes two meds which individually do nothing for me work nicely when you put them together. NSAIDs/anti-inflammatories with opioids are a popular combination, for instance, but I can't tolerate NSAIDs at all, so my magic combination is co-codamol and diazepam, the latter being a muscle relaxant.

2) Tiger balm, if you have't tried it already. The snag is that you need to keep yourself at a reasonably steady temperature, don't go out into the cold with it on, use gloves to apply it, and keep the area covered with clothing so that you don't get it on anything. You can also try pain relief patches, but that will involve going to a doctor, of course.

3) Miracle Ball Method - go and read about it here. Excellent for muscle tension or spasm, and even if the pain originates from elsewhere, such as when I had calcific tendinitis, the nearby muscles tend to tense up. Not sure if it'd be comfortable to use with bruising, though; try emailing Elaine Petrone, who designed it, to ask. Elaine@ElainePetrone.com I emailed her about the tendinitis, and she did get back to me. This method is also very good for relaxation and deep breathing, which themselves are good for pain.

4) Another one which might not be good for bruised areas, but which I found did the trick when I had what seems to have been nasty trigger point pain from the muscles in my shoulders that was referring all over the place like nobody's business. Buy one of those smallish spiky massage balls, like this. Put it into a longish sock (I nicked one of my partner's, as I just wear ankle socks), and use that to dangle it over your shoulders and get it to approximately the right spot on your back. Stand next to a wall for this, get the spiky ball positioned, and writhe around against it so that the little points can get to the knots in your muscles. You could also presumably get your husband to try rubbing the ball against any knotted-up areas while you're lying down, but I've never been able to entice anyone to do that.

5) If you have sleeping tablets you can use short-term (e.g. because they're too addictive to use long-term), this may be a good time to trot them out, so that you can get some decent sleep and heal up. Do watch out for combining meds, though, you don't want to end up overdoing it.

hurtingallthetimet

hello calathea thanks for the reply and advice/info...ive never heard of tiger balm next time im out i will look for it...never tried the micrale ball eihter not sure if im up to that..but anything to help is worth a try..
thanks again

*GG*

Have you heard of a Theracane? It cost less than $40, and can help loosen tight muscles, although not sure that is your problem.

Not familiar with Tiger Balm, but made me think of BioFreeze, pain relieving gel.

GG

Valentijn

It sounds like a lot of your pain isn't from ME, but if there's ME pain on top of it, high dose B12 could help significantly.

maddietod

I don't have FM, so I'm of no use in figuring out what kind of pain might be what. But I'm concerned that since 2 falls, the pain in your back is completely intolerable. I'm wondering if you have a disc problem, which would likely be treated differently from FM pain. A very well trained massage therapist might be able to tell.

On a separate note, I've switched methylation protocols recently, and started taking potassium. And guess what? The very tight neck muscles and the huge knot under my shoulderblade..........have loosened. I take 5 99mg tablets 3x a day. I got a huge bottle of it at Sam's Club for about $6.

I hope you get some relief soon.

hurtingallthetimet

thanks everyone i appreciate the advice....i used some muscle rub its off brand sometimes it helps sometimes not...last night it helped a little...i hurt constantly from the fibro but i do have disc problems among other things wrong with back but this has been worse since the fall and the upper back between shoulders hurt worse than ever...i dont have money for massage but that is a good idea...i will be going for regular medications pain checkup soon go every few months and will mention to doctor..i know there is so much a doctor can do without doing test but im drained of money had alot of expensive test in past....im sure alot have gone through the same...hoping doctor has a cheap idea that will help until i get the money for any test they may want...

the morphine is helping some to take edge off...i have no idea what the fall did but it hurts so bad...

thanks again hope everyone has a great weekend

Calathea

Glad you're a little better, hon, and I hope you continue to improve. Something else I forgot to mention is digging out the pain organisations, as they are experts in pain and will often have really good suggestions, helplines and such. I have no idea what the US ones are, the UK ones are called things like Pain Concern.