1. Patients launch a $1.27 million crowdfunding campaign for ME/CFS gut microbiome study.
    Check out the website, Facebook and Twitter. Join in donate and spread the word!
Brain Cells Making us Sick? The microglia connection in ME/CFS & Fibromyalgia
Simon McGrath looks at theories that microglia, the brain's immune cells, could trigger and perpetuate the symptoms of ME/CFS and fibromyalgia.
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Extraordinary high lactate threshold means legendary fitness status

Discussion in 'Other Health News and Research' started by biophile, Aug 30, 2013.

1. biophile

biophile Places I'd rather be.

Dean Karnazes is a freak of nature: He can run for three days and three nights and never get a cramp

http://www.news.com.au/lifestyle/de...ever-get-a-cramp/story-fneszs56-1226708065816

"So what's his secret? Scientists in Colorado who were mesmerised by Karnazes's running ability put him through a series of tests to find out. They discovered he possessed an extraordinary high lactate threshold - that's the body's ability to clear lactate from blood and convert it back into energy."

I thought this was interesting when considering ME/CFS and the low lactate threshold, the abnormal lactate production, and the associated struggle with exercise.
    Sean, Waverunner, Bob and 4 others like this.
  2. aimossy

aimossy Senior Member

NZ
    like,like,like!:)
  3. alex3619

alex3619 Senior Member

Logan, Queensland, Australia
    Hmmm, I wonder which genes? Anyone up for genetic engineering? I could sure use more lactate tolerance.;)
    Valentijn likes this.
  4. Valentijn

Valentijn Activity Level: 3

Amersfoort, Netherlands
    Maybe we just need more limbs, so we can take turns using some of them while the others rest?

:alien:
    SOC, MeSci and peggy-sue like this.
  5. Firestormm

Firestormm Senior Member

Cornwall England
    I wouldn't mind reading some more published science around lactate thresholds. Here's a little more about this chap:

Anyone think it's worth sending to Julia Newton for comment? Or would that be silly :)
    Sasha likes this.
  6. Sasha

Sasha Fine, thank you

UK
    Firestormm likes this.
  7. Artstu

Artstu Senior Member

UK
    I've been pushing to increase my lactate threshold for years now, I make the biggest gains in the winter when the mitochondria is boosted by exposure to cold. I have a big decline in summer, so I'm now looking forward to some cold weather again.
    anne_likes_red and alex3619 like this.
  8. alex3619

alex3619 Senior Member

Add in wings and a tail? How do we genetically engineer people to be eight legged, four armed, winged and tailed dragons?

Genetic engineering is not very successful in humans. We can possibly engineer future generations, but probably not grown adults, at least with current technology. However it might be possible to support the pathways leading to higher lactate tolerance if we can find ways to signal the body and alter its chemistry. In short, future generations may be made less vulnerable, but those with existing genetic disorders can only be treated not cured. That is the risk can never be eliminated, only controlled.
    SOC and Valentijn like this.
  9. Valentijn

Valentijn Activity Level: 3

Amersfoort, Netherlands
    So you're saying we should go the cyborg route instead? :cool:
    SOC likes this.
  10. alex3619

alex3619 Senior Member

Well, who ever heard of a fatigued Terminator? ;)
    SOC and Valentijn like this.
  11. MeSci

MeSci ME/CFS since 1995; activity level 6

Cornwall, UK
    Wings - oh, yes please! :)
  12. anne_likes_red

anne_likes_red Senior Member

Nice to hear of someone else experiencing this kind of gain with cold exposure. :)
    Its the first day of Spring in my part of the world. This is the second Winter I've been sad to say goodbye to!
    Artstu and Firestormm like this.
  13. WillowJ

WillowJ Senior Member

WA, USA
    wait, I thought there was a paper saying high lactate demonstrated good ability to exercise! /sarcasm
  14. MeSci

Cornwall, UK
    Are you referring to a different paper? My ME brain initially interpreted this one in that way, then I realised that it was referring to lactate threshold, in other words the capacity of the body to tolerate/process lactate, so that it can cope with more.
  15. Artstu

Artstu Senior Member

UK

I've found that I seem to drop less ability each summer as the years pass, and increase my ability each winter by a bit more than the previous year, I'm really looking forward to the winter boost :)
    anne_likes_red likes this.
  16. WillowJ

WillowJ Senior Member

WA, USA
    yes, a different paper (a babble paper that I was making fun of, but didn't/don't have the citation for). sorry.
  17. MeSci

Cornwall, UK
    Ah - toilet paper then?! :D

See more popular forum discussions.