Phoenix Rising supports the Millions Missing global day of protest
Phoenix Rising is delighted to support the demands being made in the ME/CFS community’s first-ever global day of protest …
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Extracorporeal photopheresis

Discussion in 'Other Health News and Research' started by user9876, Oct 7, 2012.

1. user9876

user9876 Senior Member

I came across this technique recently and thought it might interest people here since it is aimed at immune mediated diseases.Or to be more accurate t-cell lymphoma and graft vs host disease, there seems to have been some work in autoimmune disease as well but I've not managed to track down papers yet. I don't think i've seen it discussed here.

I thought what was interesting is that they talk of chaning ratios of different parts of the immune system and the effects that treating around 10% of cells seems to have on the rest.

For example

and
    As I understand it the technique it involves taking blood out, separating out the t-cells via a centrafuse treating them with UV light and a chemical then putting them back.

A couple of papers

http://www.nature.com/bmt/journal/v29/n9/full/1703529a.html
    http://bloodjournal.hematologylibrary.org/content/112/4/1515.full

Jesse2233 likes this.
  2. Jesse2233

Jesse2233 Senior Member

Southern California
    Has anyone had this? My immunologist just recommended it

Nickster and shannah like this.
  3. Gingergrrl

Gingergrrl Senior Member

USA
    Hi Jesse, what is it? It this similar to PP or something else? Can you explain it in non-sciency terms? :D

4. Jesse2233

Jesse2233 Senior Member

Southern California
    Hahah I'll do my best!

So as I understand, it basically removes a portion of your blood, separates out the white cells, treats them with a special chemical and ultraviolet light which kills them, and then puts everything back into your body using two peripheral lines. It's done bi-weekly over a period of 6 months. They're not sure exactly how it works, but one theory is that the dead immune cells send a signal to the body to increase T-regs which in turn lower inflammation, clear chronic pathogens, and destroy autoantibodies.

I talked to my doctor about photopheresis vs immunoadsorbtion and plasmapheresis and he said that if it works, the benefit would be longer (or even permanent) with photopheresis because there's a potential for immune reset.

It's considered to be safer than immunosuppression and so can be used in cases where chronic infections might be present.

It's usually done for cancer and organ transplant but new data is showing benefit for autoimmunity as well. I would be patient zero for my case however, which my doctor made very clear

I thought the T cell mechanism of action was interesting given Mark Davis' findings and what Dr Chia told me last appointment about Dr Klimas' T-cell treatment experiment

Hanna, perrier and Gingergrrl like this.

See more popular forum discussions.