• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Extensive interview with Jarred Younger

Bob

Extensive interview with Jarred Younger
This was posted on 28th March 2016.
Video, audio and transcript.

http://selfhacked.com/2016/03/29/dr...ch-on-cfs-neuroinflammation-pain-and-fatigue/

An audio format had been uploaded to SoundCloud, here.

Dr. Jarred Younger: Cutting Edge Research on CFS, Neuroinflammation, Pain, and Fatigue
Posted by Joseph M. Cohen
Dr Younger has published studies on CFS, Fibromyalgia and pain. He has some unique insights on CFS and chronic inflammation. His study was the one that showed leptin was like a trigger of fatigue in CFS.

Introduction
I am very excited to interview Dr. Jarred Younger. He received his PhD in Experimental Psychophysiology at the University of Tennessee-Knoxville. He completed his post-doctoral fellowship at Arizona State University and the Stanford University of Medicine, before taking an assistant professor position at Stanford.

In 2014, he joined the faculty at the University of Alabama-Birmingham. His goal is to end the chronic pain and fatigue caused by the inflammation in the brain. He is currently funded by the NIH, the Department of Defense, and several nonprofit agencies to develop techniques for diagnosing and treating neuroinflammation, pain, and fatigue.

Last edited:

Marco

Grrrrrrr!
Thanks Bob. That was quite interesting and covered a lot of ground - some good, some less so from my perspective.

The standount (and new) point for me was that Younger stated that he has also found that the relationship between leptin levels and bad days also stands for fibromylagia. That is in ME/CFS higher leptin correlates with higher fatigue and in fibro with higher pain levels. So the leptin connection isn't specific for fatigue although as he also states leptin per se isn't the problem (as it is still at physiological levels) but that it may enhance the underlying problem.

He also said the fibro study should be out within a week.

jimells

I was fascinated to read that Dr Younger started out studying hypnosis.

For some reason I was under the impression that he was studying ME, but really from the interview it seems like he is mostly studying pain and fatigue.

Edit to add: Silly me. I see that "Pain" and "Fatigue" are right there in the name of his lab. Doh!

Last edited: