• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

"Exploring E-learning Provision for Children with ME in Scotland" (Sheridan et al., 2013)

Dolphin

This lists some of the benefits of e-learning for children (or people) with ME:
-------
"The Scottish Cross Party Group looking at the educational needs of children with ME believes that e-learning offers a number of affordances that could be of particular benefit to children with ME, enabling them to reach their full educational potential. Firstly it enables students to pace their activity throughout the day, for instance by taking regular breaks, and for activity to be tail...ored to the energy level of the individual student. As ME often affects students' concentration and memory, the ability to replay recorded lessons is particularly useful. E-learning enables students to study from home, so limited energy resources can be conserved for learning, social interactions, as well as tasks associated with daily living. It also offers a flexibility, enabling students to study at the time of day when they feel most well. Indeed E-learning itself is no longer viewed as second best by many practitioners and researchers; see for example the manifesto for teaching online (Ross et al, 2011), particularly the first statement "Distance is a positive principle, not a deficit. Online can be the privileged mode." Recent technological developments also make e-learning both a realistic and a cost effective solution. This is particularly so in Scotland, some of which is sparsely populated, making accessing alternative face to face education both logistically difficult and expensive."
--------
from Other Education: The Journal of Educational Alternatives ISSN
2049-2162 Volume 2(2013), Issue 1 • pp.78-80

Exploring E-learning Provision for Children with ME in Scotland

Anna K. Sheridan*, Lesley Scott, Nancy MacDonald, Lorraine Murray, Samantha Holt & Kat Allen, Scottish Cross Party Working Group: Education of Children & Young People with M.E.

Free full text: www.othereducation.stir.ac.uk/index.php/OE/article/download/18/46

(Anna points out that this isn't peer-reviewed)