Professor & patients' paper on the solvable biological challenge of ME/CFS: reader-friendly version
Simon McGrath provides a patient-friendly version of a peer-reviewed paper which highlights some of the most promising biomedical research on ME/CFS ...
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Experiences with licorice?

Discussion in 'Adrenal Dysfunction' started by soundasacrystal, Mar 23, 2017.

1. JaimeS

JaimeS Senior Member

Mid-Ohio Valley, United States
    Cortisol is only anti-inflammatory in the periphery. It's inflammatory to the CNS.

Gondwanaland likes this.
  2. The Chronicals

The Chronicals The '59 Sound

London
    True, which could lead on to why the cortisol receptors are overly sensitive for those that have had low cortisol for long periods of time, which can support why many (myself included) had strong reactions to HC (alongside liver toxification). I think Dr Poesnicker wrote about receptor damage.

3. boombachi

boombachi Senior Member

Hampshire, UK
    I take liquorice as a liquid (tincture I think). I have never measured my cortisol but I feel warmer taking liquorice, have more energy and better blood pressure (it is usually low). shatavari and lavender were recently added which get rid of most symptoms if I don't over exert myself. I am no scientist. I just do what the herbalist tells me but I think the lavender is calming and balances the herbs that are stimulating. Liquorice on its own improved things but wasn't the solution for me on its own.

JaimeS likes this.
  4. The Chronicals

The Chronicals The '59 Sound

London
    Licorice is seem as warming in ayurveda medicine, which is primarily where its used stemmed from.

Lavender and Shatavari are suggested to modulate GABAergic neurotransmission, especially onGABA A receptors - similar to how benzodiazapines work - hence the calming affect. Although they classed as relaxing, they are actually stimulating to the adrenal system - most relaxants are in fact stimulates - sounds strange but its true as the body had to 'make' hormones and neurotransmitters to create that relaxed feeling, and most of those are made partly with the help of the adrenals.

I find Gaba stuff really helpful (NOT benzos though), I prefer Theanine myself but it does just help symptoms and mask them, it isn't a cure unfortunately, but by calming the HPA, it can promote healing - or so thats the theory :)

Gondwanaland likes this.
  5. JaimeS

JaimeS Senior Member

Mid-Ohio Valley, United States
    A very popular herb in traditional Chinese medicine as well.

See more popular forum discussions.