• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Experiences with licorice?

The Chronicals

The '59 Sound
Cortisol is only anti-inflammatory in the periphery. It's inflammatory to the CNS.

True, which could lead on to why the cortisol receptors are overly sensitive for those that have had low cortisol for long periods of time, which can support why many (myself included) had strong reactions to HC (alongside liver toxification). I think Dr Poesnicker wrote about receptor damage.

boombachi

I take liquorice as a liquid (tincture I think). I have never measured my cortisol but I feel warmer taking liquorice, have more energy and better blood pressure (it is usually low). shatavari and lavender were recently added which get rid of most symptoms if I don't over exert myself. I am no scientist. I just do what the herbalist tells me but I think the lavender is calming and balances the herbs that are stimulating. Liquorice on its own improved things but wasn't the solution for me on its own.

The Chronicals

The '59 Sound
Licorice is seem as warming in ayurveda medicine, which is primarily where its used stemmed from.

Lavender and Shatavari are suggested to modulate GABAergic neurotransmission, especially onGABA A receptors - similar to how benzodiazapines work - hence the calming affect. Although they classed as relaxing, they are actually stimulating to the adrenal system - most relaxants are in fact stimulates - sounds strange but its true as the body had to 'make' hormones and neurotransmitters to create that relaxed feeling, and most of those are made partly with the help of the adrenals.

I find Gaba stuff really helpful (NOT benzos though), I prefer Theanine myself but it does just help symptoms and mask them, it isn't a cure unfortunately, but by calming the HPA, it can promote healing - or so thats the theory :)