1. Patients launch $1.27 million crowdfunding campaign for ME/CFS gut microbiome study.
    Check out the website, Facebook and Twitter. Join in donate and spread the word!
New Exercise Study Brings Both Illumination and Questions
Simon McGrath looks at new objective evidence of abnormal response to exercise in ME/CFS patients, and the questions that researchers are still trying to answer ...
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Experiences of Young People with the Lightning Process (Chalder 2012)

Discussion in 'Latest ME/CFS Research' started by Simon, Sep 21, 2012.

1. Bob

Bob

South of England
    I've just read through this paper. There seems to be some balance in it, in terms of the positive and negative experiences that the patients reported, but it's impossible to know how much balance, and what details were omitted.

Also, of course, the paper does not include a comprehensive critique of the Lightning Process. It mainly only explores subjective issues that were discussed by the participants.

Some of the issues that we are aware of, and have discussed at length, in relation to the Lightning Process, were raised by the patients. (I've highlighted many below.)

Eight of the nine participants were diagnosed as having Oxford CFS before treatment. (I can't see diagnostic details for the remaining one.)

Two of the nine participants reported no improvements from the treatment, and seven reported positive effects.

Overall, the paper places the Lightning Process in a positive light, and the nature of the training course would probably not seem unreasonable to the casual reader.

I've selected some interesting extracts, below, but perhaps it's an unbalanced selection of text, because of my own biases and opinions:

Case History: A Negative Experience (extract):

Case History: A Positive Experience (extract) (This patient, who had had CFS for two years, experienced the most benefit, out of all participants, and returned to full time work after treatment):

Last edited: Mar 18, 2014
    Esther12 and Valentijn like this.

See more popular forum discussions.