Julie Rehmeyer's 'Through the Shadowlands'
Writer Never Give Up talks about Julie Rehmeyer's new book "Through the Shadowlands: A Science Writer's Odyssey into an Illness Science Doesn't Understand" and shares an interview with Julie ...
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Experiences from adrenaline injection?

Discussion in 'General Treatment' started by Ninan, Mar 21, 2015.

1. Ninan

Ninan Senior Member

A friend of mine is very ill and now it seems her iron levels got depleted after trying a new treatment. Supplementing iron doesn't seem to help so now her doctor (who has no experience in ME/CFS) wants to give her IV iron. There is a risk of side effect: Anafalyctic shock. (And she does seem to get all the side effects so it might not be unlikely.) In that case she will be given an adrenaline shot and this is what worries her. Will that make her crash? She is very ill and has been bed bound for years. Anyone here has experiences from adrenaline injections and ME/CFS? Please share if you do. Thanks!

2. Helen

Helen Senior Member

People with COMT mutations, which are rather common in a healthy population and even more common among PWME, are sensitive to adrenaline as we canĀ“t break down/metabolize adrenaline at normal speed. Your friend might have had adverse reactions (tachycardia) at the dentist when given Xylocain injections as anesthesia if she has got the COMT mutations.

Did her doctor exclude B12 deficiency? That is one reason that makes it hard to get the iron to increase, and it seems to be neglected pretty often.

catly and melamine like this.
  3. liverock

liverock Senior Member

UK
    Besides B12 deficiency the inability to be able to raise iron levels can be due to copper deficiency. Unfortunately doctors seem to test for copper deficiency as the very last thing to check when faced with problems raising iron levels.

http://www.digitalnaturopath.com/cond/C541569.html

4. melamine

melamine Senior Member

Upstate NY
    I developed epinephrine/adrenaline sensitivity after an outpatient surgical procedure many years ago, in which quite a bit of anesthetic containing that ingredient was used over the course of an hour or so. It may have contributed to my health not recovering after that but there were other factors involved, so no way of knowing. I don't recall symptoms at the time (or not), but I started getting tachycardia from then on if my dentist used anesthetic containing epinephrine, which after the first incident only happened maybe once, by accident.

I would not risk the iron shot myself if I were as sick as you say your friend is, because I'd be concerned about reacting badly to two things and not just one. I'd also be concerned that a doctor not familiar with ME/CFS is treating it. There has to be a better safer way. That's what I would be researching.

5. Sidereal

Sidereal Senior Member

Lots of people with ME/CFS crash horribly after going to the dentist and getting injections containing epinephrine.

AndyPandy, bertiedog and melamine like this.
  6. melamine

melamine Senior Member

Upstate NY
    Everything about going to the dentist makes me crash to one degree or another.

AndyPandy likes this.
  7. Sidereal

Sidereal Senior Member

Me too. I suppose the stress itself and the resulting production in epinephrine is enough to crash me even without injections.

bertiedog and melamine like this.
  8. alex3619

alex3619 Senior Member

Logan, Queensland, Australia
    The primary issue for me, from adrenaline, is a delayed OI reaction. Lying down after adrenaline, and not getting up for maybe six hours, might assist with coping.

Valentijn likes this.
  9. melamine

melamine Senior Member

Upstate NY
    @alex3619 - Is OI one of your regular symptoms? How many times had this happened to you and had you taken a pain killer or antibiotic at the same time? The reason I'm asking is that I had identified a different likely source of toxic hypotension in myself, because of the three times it happened to me, one of them didn't involve anesthetic/ epinephrine, and later research showed that it was a reason one of the suspected medications was removed from market. It's possible that I was also reacting to epinephrine in 2 of those cases, if your experience only involved epi.

10. alex3619

alex3619 Senior Member

Logan, Queensland, Australia
    I have NMH with bradycardia (not tachycardia) and when tired I have frequent syncope. I have lost track of the huge number of times I have collapsed on stairs. The bradycardia version is particularly dangerous as instead of a feedback loop where the heart goes faster to compensate, I get a feedback loop of a slowing heart as my blood pressure drops, which drops pressure further. My heart stopped during my TTT. I have high blood pressure which tends to compensate for this except when I am very tired or exhausted.

I almost never take painkillers or antibiotics.

Valentijn and melamine like this.
  11. xks201

xks201 Senior Member

Short half life I doubt it guys

See more popular forum discussions.