Severe ME Day of Understanding and Remembrance: Aug. 8, 2017
Determined to paper the Internet with articles about ME, Jody Smith brings some additional focus to Severe Myalgic Encephalomyelitis Day of Understanding and Remembrance on Aug. 8, 2017 ...
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Experiences and perspectives of patients with post-polio syndrome and therapists with exercise & CBT

Discussion in 'Other Health News and Research' started by Dolphin, Sep 9, 2017.

1. Dolphin

Dolphin Senior Member

Somebody highlighted this to me as the sort of study they would like to see done in the ME/CFS field.

Free full text: https://bmcneurol.biomedcentral.com/articles/10.1186/s12883-016-0544-0

Woolie, Cheshire, TiredSam and 6 others like this.
  2. Dolphin

Dolphin Senior Member

I didn't find it as interesting as I hoped.

I think the authors were a bit into trying to find some evidence that the treatments did work or might work under other circumstances. Supposedly the quantative side of the study found no improvement.

Last edited: Sep 9, 2017
  3. Esther12

Esther12 Senior Member

The abstract gives the impression of a desperate attempt to put a positive spin on things. That could be interesting in itself.

Thanks for posting about all these papers. I'm barely able to keep up with just the PACE related stuff coming out at the moment, so handy to have little summaries from related papers being posted.

Valentijn, Jan and Dolphin like this.
  4. Dolphin

Dolphin Senior Member

Valentijn, Wonko and Snow Leopard like this.
  5. Dolphin

Dolphin Senior Member

For what it is worth:
    My recollection is that CBT for CFS can involve trying to increase assertiveness among other things.
    Which could be useful. Though this does not seem like a CFS-specific element. Similarly CBT could encourage somebody to have more rests which might have some benefit, though again this is not the central element of CBT for CFS normally.

It can be a little interesting to read why patients say therapy such as CBT helps. It could give information on why they might say it helps in questionnaires.

Valentijn, Wonko, Jan and 1 other person like this.
  6. Dolphin

Dolphin Senior Member

For what it is worth:

Exercise therapy:

A lot later (in the discussion) it gives the following results:

trishrhymes, Valentijn, Wonko and 3 others like this.
  7. Dolphin

Dolphin Senior Member

I impression that CBT is not supposed to be about meaning of life questions.

---

I wonder how often this occurs in creative activity-oriented CBT for CFS.

Valentijn, Wonko, Jan and 1 other person like this.
  8. Dolphin

Dolphin Senior Member

Sounds like pacing

---

---
    I could imagine that happens with CFS also

9. Dolphin

Dolphin Senior Member

Wonko and Jan like this.
  10. Dolphin

Dolphin Senior Member

Wonko and Woolie like this.
  11. RogerBlack

RogerBlack Senior Member

One awesome thing - this is going away.
    This year, there have been a handful of polio cases leading to paralysis.
    In 1980, this was a few hundred thousand.

It looks like - with luck - the wild virus is likely to be eliminated this decade.
    However, due to the vaccine design, one sort of vaccine can in some people persist in the body, and spread to others. If not enough people in an area are vaccinated, over time, this can spread, and become able to cause disease again.

This is also on a downward trend, but there have been several dozen, not several cases of this this year, so is unlikely to be wiped out this decade, unless things go very well.

It seems plausible however that well under a thousand more people will get polio, ever, compared to the many, many millions that have in history.

See more popular forum discussions.