1. Patients launch $1.27 million crowdfunding campaign for ME/CFS gut microbiome study.
    Check out the website, Facebook and Twitter. Join in donate and spread the word!
Nitric oxide and its possible implication in ME/CFS (Part 1 of 2)
Andrew Gladman explores the current and historic hypotheses relating to nitric oxide problems in ME/CFS. Part 1 of a 2-part series puts nitric oxide under the microscope and explores what it is, what it does and why it is so frequently discussed in the world of ME/CFS. Part 1 focuses...
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Exercise therapy for chronic musculoskeletal pain: Innovation by altering pain memories

Discussion in 'Other Health News and Research' started by Dolphin, Jul 22, 2014.

1. Dolphin

Dolphin Senior Member

This came up in a Google Scholar search for "Chronic Fatigue Syndrome" so it is mentioned somewhere - Jo Nijs is an influential ME/CFS researcher. This sort of talk with regard to ME/CFS would make me uncomfortable.

2. Valentijn

Valentijn Activity Level: 3

Amersfoort, Netherlands
    Sounds like a lovely bullshit theory that will pan out to be as useless as CBT and GET are for ME.
  3. alex3619

alex3619 Senior Member

Logan, Queensland, Australia
    The issue here is conscious thought versus innate neurological mechanism. Thought can only do so much. I doubt this will work, but there is a remote chance it might, which would be interersting. Of cource it depends on what the individual patient's problem is - some problems may or may not be amenable to this kind of thing, though as I said I suspect they will fail. The next question then, is how will the results be presented. Will they get failing results and present them as a success? This happens as we know.
    Valentijn likes this.
  4. GracieJ

GracieJ Senior Member

Utah
    In massage therapy, that is a sound applicable protocol often referred to as muscle re-entrainment. Applying it to emotional aspects, though? Forget it. There is a definite pattern of "muscle memory" for pain syndromes, but it has nothing to do with the person fearing pain, just experiencing pain. I doubt muscle re-entrainment would work with ME. The causes are entirely different than in an athlete who has stressed a muscle group over time. This crosses the line into psychobabble all over again, and this time with a legitimate healing tool.
    Valentijn and WillowJ like this.
  5. Marco

Marco Old blackguard

Near Cognac, France

See more popular forum discussions.