Phoenix Rising supports the Millions Missing global day of protest
Phoenix Rising is delighted to support the demands being made in the ME/CFS community’s first-ever global day of protest …
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Exercise Testing at Dr Klimas' private clinic -- completely painless (!!!)

Discussion in 'ME/CFS Doctors' started by SOC, Mar 4, 2012.

1. SOC

SOC

I saw Dr Rey and the exercise physiologist at Dr Klimas' private clinic. Both are highly intelligent, kind, and sympathetic. :D

I did the exercise testing 6-7 years ago at The Hunter-Hopkins Clinic. It killed me. Well, okay, not quite. :D But it was painful in the moment and gave me a crash in the longer term. It was worth it to find out my anaerobic threshold (AT) though, because I soon discovered that nearly everything I did exceeded my AT, so I was continuously overdoing, even when I though I was taking it very easy. I had to completely retrain myself in order not to overdo.

The exercise testing at Dr Klimas' private clinic was not physically stressful at all. Yes, I had to ride the bike, but at no time was the effort beyond what I considered very easy. I was hardly pushing the pedals at all -- very little effort. I'm not bedbound these days unless I have an extra stressor -- an infection, overdoing -- but I'm severely limited in how much activity I can do. For example, I can't even do light housework without exceeding my AT. Even 6 mins of the most basic yoga exceeds my AT. So for me to say this was easy means it really was super easy. The whole bike ride was 3 minutes of very, very easy pedaling.

I'm not sure this testing would work for disability assessments because we didn't do the VOmax bit. You'd have to ask about that.

I don't have the "exercise" program, yet, but from everything I understood, it sounds completely manageable. I was something of a skeptic at first, but I've been won over (for the moment, anyway). I'll keep you posted on how it works for me.

ahimsa, maddietod, fla and 1 other person like this.
  2. *GG*

*GG* Senior Member

Concord, NH
    So this testing is so you know how much exercsie to do for yourself?

GG

PS What did they monitor? Blood pressure? EKG?

3. SOC

SOC

Yes, I believe the information will allow me to manage my activity better. To be honest, I was sick with food poisoning at the time, so my attention was not fully on what was going on. :D When I get my written evaluation and activity plan -- some time this week, I hope -- I'll update this thread with better info.

ahimsa likes this.
  4. SpecialK82

SpecialK82 Ohio, USA

Ohio, USA
    very interesting SOC, I didn't know that the tests were different dependent of the doctor office performing it. I had the test at Hunter Hopkins and I agree with you, it was a bear. I'll be curious to hear what info was ascertained with the method employed at Dr. Klimas office. I suppose then they didn't do a repeat test the day after which, as I understand, is done at HHC now.

5. Astrocyte

Astrocyte

UK
    I'm keen to hear what they recommend too. And if you're willing to post the results of your exercise test, that would be really interesting. Didn't Dr Klimas do a couple of exercise videos at some point?

See more popular forum discussions.