Invisible Illness Awareness Week 2016: Our Voices Need to Be Heard
Never heard of Invisible Illness Awareness Week? You're not alone. Jody Smith sheds a little light to make it more visible
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Exercise for patients with fibromyalgia: risks versus benefits

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia' started by Dolphin, Jul 13, 2011.

1. Dolphin

Dolphin Senior Member

[My primary interest is ME/CFS. I'm very interested in the "exercise issue". Anyway, I thought this might be interest so had a look. I'll copy notes in follow-up messages]

2. Dolphin

Dolphin Senior Member

These are exercise program fans so aren't going to give all the possible adverse effects.

But I think the point about overtraining in particular may be interesting.

3. Dolphin

Dolphin Senior Member

Other bits and pieces from elsewhere in the article

Other bits and pieces from elsewhere in the article

Busch et al. (1999)
    Jones et al.
    3. Elert JE, Rantapa Dahlqvist SB, Henriksson-Larsen K, Gerdle B:
    Increased EMG activity during short pauses in patients with
    primary fibromyalgia. Scand J Rheumatol 1989, 18:321323.

80. Bennett RM, Jacobsen S: Muscle function and origin of pain
    in fibromyalgia. Bailliere's Clin Rheumatol 1994, 8(4):721746.

4. Esther12

Esther12 Senior Member

Thanks.

I spoke to someone who said that they recovered from CFS by treating it like over-training syndrome, and using the techniques body-builders etc do to recover. From a quick bit of google, it looks like over-training syndrome is pretty widely recognised, but something that's largely outside of medicine, and dealt with in the sports world. The person I spoke to said olympic trainer's etc are much more interested in understanding and fighting fatigue than GPs... it's the sort of thing which sounds plausible, but could be nonsense.

It could be that some similar mechanisms are involved for some CFS, but it looks a lot like another unexplained syndrome.

5. Dolphin

Dolphin Senior Member

Thanks. I think comparisons with over-training might be interesting. Also, sometimes you hear of elite athletes who are said to have CFS (perhaps particularly in Australia??) - it would be presumably useful to find out if there are differences between the two as management might be different/not exactly the same.

See more popular forum discussions.