• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Exercise Cure for POTS

joejack102

I was told that getting in extraordinary good fitness/physical shape has actually eliminated POTS in patients? My question is: Does this just mean the diagnostic criteria have improved to a sub-diagnostic level or does the indicate a permanent elimination in the underlying autonomic disorder? Also, which contributes most: cardiovascular exercise or resistance training? If I spent the next year getting in remarkable physical shape, is there a likelihood that my underlying autonomic dysfunction could permanently be cured for good (even if I backslide afterwards in regards to fitness), or is it just simply resolving some symptoms & indicators temporarily due to temporary better health even though the underlying autonomic disorder will still be there and symptoms return immediately once I return back to my condition I am currently in?

Jesse2233

It seems exercise can greatly benefit POTS patients who can tolerate (although not necessarily cure it).

The key differentiator between success and failure seems to be not having the co-morbid presence of a type of PEM which makes the patient permanently worse (eg severe ME)

Last edited:

nanonug

joejack102

No, only when POTs is due to deconditining which is the minority of POTs sufferers

Can we prove this? Is there a study that shows a backslide or return of POTS once the exercise program was discontinued after POTS was eliminated?

JES

Can we prove this? Is there a study that shows a backslide or return of POTS once the exercise program was discontinued after POTS was eliminated?

If the cause is autoimmune, then it's unlikely that exercise would have improved POTS in the first place. POTS in many cases goes along with something like small fiber or autonomic neuropathy, where there is destruction of part of your nerves. Obviously exercise will not regenerate those nerves back.

Jesse2233

If the cause is autoimmune, then it's unlikely that exercise would have improved POTS in the first place. POTS in many cases goes along with something like small fiber or autonomic neuropathy, where there is destruction of part of your nerves. Obviously exercise will not regenerate those nerves back.

I suspect it’s a case by case basis. Someone able to tolerate exercise would likely benefit from the increased testosterone which can help quell autoimmunity. Exercise also helps with perfusion, mitogenesis, and promotion of various neurological growth factors

In terms of the physical effects of POTS, gentle recumbent cardio can help with venous return and heart size

Last edited:

ryan31337

I imagine the exercise improves skeletal muscle pump & the resultant increase in filling pressures accounts for most of the improvement.

In the context of POTS caused by deconditioning its a 'cure', in the context of POTS caused by anything else its merely a work-around/band-aid.

Gingergrrl

Recent research suggest an autoimmune cause for POTS. For example: "Acetylcholine receptors antibodies in postural tachycardia syndrome." If this is the case then I don't see how exercise would improve POTS.

I agree with this @nanonug and if you have Autoimmune POTS, you would need some kind of treatment to reduce or eliminate the autoantibodies. I do not see how exercise could possibly do this and in many cases (like mine) exercise would make me significantly worse and would be dangerous.

Seven7

Seven
I think I didn’t explain well. OI outside regular POTs May happen to plp
That are old, being in bed long periods of times, decondtioning.... this group excercise might help.
The rest will be case by case. Toning will Help pooling there is not discussion about that. Is phisics ( anatomy really) but will that avoid symptoms I guess is case by case ( more to do with your individual physics than anything I suspect). This last part is my personal observation, must doctors will tell you avoiding pooling Will Help
Posts, my experience that is not the case in my case. Becuase I don’t change anything and before my period I pass out left and right, so Is nothing to do w my phsisical state or it would be all month long.