• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Exercise Challenge in GWI Reveals Two Subgroups with Altered Brain Structure and Function

Firestormm

Exercise Challenge in Gulf War Illness Reveals Two Subgroups with Altered Brain Structure and Function

• Rakib U. Rayhan mail,
  • Benson W. Stevens,
  • Megna P. Raksit,
  • Joshua A. Ripple,
  • Christian R. Timbol,
  • Oluwatoyin Adewuyi,
  • John W. VanMeter,
  • James N. Baraniuk

Abstract

Nearly 30% of the approximately 700,000 military personnel who served in Operation Desert Storm (1990–1991) have developed Gulf War Illness, a condition that presents with symptoms such as cognitive impairment, autonomic dysfunction, debilitating fatigue and chronic widespread pain that implicate the central nervous system.

A hallmark complaint of subjects with Gulf War Illness is post-exertional malaise; defined as an exacerbation of symptoms following physical and/or mental effort.

To study the causal relationship between exercise, the brain, and changes in symptoms, 28 Gulf War veterans and 10 controls completed an fMRI scan before and after two exercise stress tests to investigate serial changes in pain, autonomic function, and working memory.

Exercise induced two clinical Gulf War Illness subgroups. One subgroup presented with orthostatic tachycardia (n = 10). This phenotype correlated with brainstem atrophy, baseline working memory compensation in the cerebellar vermis, and subsequent loss of compensation after exercise.

The other subgroup developed exercise induced hyperalgesia (n = 18) that was associated with cortical atrophy and baseline working memory compensation in the basal ganglia. Alterations in cognition, brain structure, and symptoms were absent in controls.

Our novel findings may provide an understanding of the relationship between the brain and post-exertional malaise in Gulf War Illness.

Editor: Pedro Antonio Valdes-Sosa, Cuban Neuroscience Center, Cuba

Received: November 14, 2012; Accepted: April 8, 2013; Published: June 14, 2013

Brain images accompany the paper. I thought PEM was being sold in some quarters as the unique hallmark of ME. Apparently not then.

Enid

Interesting - altered brain structure and function as described (own brain MRI scans) very similar.

John H Wolfe

I wonder whether gulf war syndrome, and associated PEM, have anything to do with phosphors ~ phosphorylation and associated altered nociception (which I believe may be integral to the core pathophysiology of ME/CFS, as a Neural Hyper-Sensitivity Syndrome)