• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

EXERCISE and Folate and Potassium Balance

Sometimes it seems like it is impossible to win at this. I have just had 3 solid weeks of healing cheilitis and no IBS at all. A few days ago something shifted and I woke up with more energy and more mental clarity and just better all the way around. I increased the Nordic track to 25 minutes from 20 minutes and increased reps by 5 working with only 8 pound dumbbells. I'm not doing anything extreme. But here I am only 3 days after noticing the increase in muscle in the damaged areas and today I suddenly have low potassium spasms and increased cheilitis.
Freddd, I said this once before, and I will be the first to admit that with 18 defects out of 30 I am not much like anybody else, but the only time I got angular chielitis it was due to not taking my vitamin E supplement. And what you said above just says the same thing to me because when you exercise you break down muscle fiber, which calls the immune system in to mop up the dead and dying cells, and the immune system does this by firing at the dying cells with H2O2, an oxidant, and your system can become overwhelmed if you do not have enough anti-oxidants. The one you need for exercise-induced H2O2 is Vitamin E. (I dont know why, but they observed this in olympic athletes, Dr. Michael Colgan). I take a very high dose of E, which is 1g/day. The reason I do this is because I have extremely bad allergies and to MY body this places an olympic-sized stress on my body. It does call the immune system in to play every time you are sick with whatever - or exercise heavily. So...forwhatever it's worth...maybe try it for even 1 day and see if it does the trick?

I dont have cancer and I dont want you to get it so you have to really think about E. Like they are saying you need gamma tocopherol not all alpha. I am not so sure all the research is in on that nor how much gamme to how much alpha. So maybe it is better to just keep the chielitis. I just really think E would heal it. But not sure what to say about cancer risk from it.

Rydra

Hi Rich and Freddd,

Thank you again for your work.

For females, would heavy blood loss - at childbirth, or heavy periods at puberty, for example (anemia, low folate, low B12) be one of the many possible stressors? More females get hit with CFS/FM. Certainly a few anemic months could knock someone down if that person were not prepared ahead of time.

Always thinking........
How much food folate can I eat?
What were my own stressors?

What we are TOLD is a healthy diet may not be for many of us here.

I cant answer your question per se. But I did learn that low iron causes low cortisol and low thyroid hormone. Hypothyroid in turn causes a lot of other things, including raised cholesterol. There is quite a cascade from low iron. I am needless to say, low iron right now.

Rydra