May 12, 2017 Is International ME/CFS and FM Awareness Day
International ME/CFS and FM Awareness Day is May 12th, 2017. Jody Smith shares some information about upcoming events and ways you can be heard ...
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Excreting Folic Acid?

Discussion in 'Genetic Testing and SNPs' started by silverseas2014, Dec 26, 2014.

1. silverseas2014

silverseas2014

Southwest
    Hello. I hope some of you can help me find the answers to the following questions: (And I am asking about Folic Acid and NOT Methylfolate):

1.) How long does Folic Acid stay in our body? (do we really "accumulate" Folic Acid?)

2.) What is the route of excretion of Folic Acid? is it via urine? via feces? or both?

3.) How can we hasten the excretion of Folic Acid?

Thanks for your help,
    Silverseas2014

Little Bluestem likes this.
  2. Little Bluestem

Little Bluestem All Good Things Must Come to an End

Anyone?

victoriana likes this.
  3. Critterina

Critterina Senior Member

Arizona, USA
    Sorry, no clue.

4. caledonia

caledonia

Cincinnati, OH, USA
    Hi, I heard the answer to this recently - sorry I can't remember exactly where, but it is a reliable source (maybe Ben Lynch?) It takes about three months for excess folic acid to be excreted. For example, if you were eating fortified foods or standard multivitamins with folic acid in them.

I don't know if there's anything you can do to hasten excretion. I don't know the exact route of excretion, or if there are several routes.

5. silverseas2014

silverseas2014

Southwest
    thanks to all-- I think I will go hunting in some databases over at the med school....

cheers,
    Silverseas2014

See more popular forum discussions.