• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Excessive Sweating Despite Low Body Temperature?

Changexpert

Welcome to another introduction of contradictory symptom I have. My body temperature has been consistently low. It was around 96.8 F for last year and thankfully, has increased to 97.3 F this year. Given the consensus for normal body temperature is 98.6 F, I still got 1.3 F to increase, which is pretty substantial amount.

One would think that, 'since your body temperature is always low, at least you would feel cool all the time!' Unfortunately, that is the total opposite of what I have. I tend to sweat very easily. I do not think my body's threshold for sweating is low, meaning that it takes certain conditions for me to break in sweat. Physical engagements (exercise, singing, playing instruments) and ambient temperatures are the main factors, even though physical engagements tend to override the second factor. Once the threshold is met, my body just drips in sweat from head to toe. I even sweat during winter times in the gym, when nobody else is sweating. Most problematic areas are hands (palms), arm pits, and feet.

After an IR sauna session today, I was in the car, ready to go for lunch. For some reason, I started dripping in sweat again for at least 10 minutes even with the AC on and wondered if some medical condition is causing this issue. I was once very overweight in the past and lost about 130 pounds of excess weight, which definitely could be a factor, since adipose tissue only shrinks or expands in size, rather than decomposing completely. I am also sensitive to both coldness and heat due to hypothyroidism. Unfortunately, I react very badly to iodine, so taking iodine will not work.

I am just befuddled by how my body can behave in such contradictory manner. I thought body temperature and sweating are closely related... Does anybody have this issue? I know @justy posted something similar back 5 years ago, but the mystery was not solved. Could this be caused by some kind of deficiency, toxicity, or malfunction? Your help would be greatly appreciated.

Tammy

I am also befuddled about the temperature thing. There have been times when I am absolutely sure that I am running a fever when in fact my temp is low...........................then there are those times my temperature has been running a little high but I'm feeling colder than usual. I have like you broke out in a sweat with low body temp..............soooooooooo another baffling mystery to chalk up to this baffling disease. Some people say it could be the result of a malfunctioning hypothalamus..................I really don't know.

Just brought up this topic with my doctor a week ago. His very brief response was "thyroid". NO Time for details!

Critterina

For me, it was thyroid. Elevated TSH levels in spite of "within normal" other readings. I was averaging 96.4, with a range of 95.6 to 96.7. I have always sweated more than others, but from my face and head and inguinal crease, with less and less underarm sweat until the last 10 years or so there was no underarm sweat (how nice not to need deodorant!) Well, all that changed with thyroid. I average near 98, I sweat less from the head and more from the underarms (and yes, I need deoderant now). An all this when I just take the synthetic T4.