• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Excessive sweating and celiac disease - the b12 connection

Hi,
I hope everyone is doing well. Its my first on this forum. Like everybody else, I was struggling since childhood until now( i'm in my late twenties) to figure out why my body is out of whack. As a small child, i was having constant urinary infections and had excessive sweating of my hands and feet. When i first got my period, my hair started falling out in clumps until today. I had itchiness on my scalp and eyebrows. I have plenty of white hair and tthinning hair. Its not until recently, that a natural doctor told me i had a gluten problem. I did several tests and found out my estrogen was low, testosterone high( not pcos), slightly hypothyroid eventhough i was in "normal range", allergic to wheat, gluten-sensitive, sensitive to fried foods and dairy. Basicaly, its a digestive issue. who would have known. I also did hair analysis ( dr Wilson) and found out i have copper , aluminum and mercury toxicity and that copper toxicity makes you sensetive to gluten and casein. So maybe i was born with high copper levels. Maybe all celiacs have high levels of copper. Then, i stumbled across a website, where a woman who became vegan started sweating excessively for no apparent reason, and it went away after several b12 shots. Most vegans lack in b12 and b12 is crucial for nervous system which controls sweat glands. B12 and b9 and zinc are all absorbed in intestine and my blood results showed abnormally high levels of b12 and folate!!! some celiacs have this. but no doctor could give me a reasonable explanation other than its nothing to worry about. But now i know that since i have digestive issues my body is not able to absorb b12 or folate or even zinc from food or supplements and just stores it but my body can't use it. So im basically, severly deficient all these years. So I bought b12 500 mcg and folic acid 800 mcg and sprayed it several times in my nostrils (it goes directly into bloodstream) but got massive migraines, nausea, and fatigue. so i stopped. Thats when i was hoping maybe someone could give me some advice if possible. I thank all those who are able to offer some help and wish everyone a healthy and fast recovery from all sicknesses with G-d's help.
here are my questions:

1. i have mercury , aluminum and copper toxicity. Is it dangerous to supplement with b12 ?
2. im taking a multivitamin and a thyroid support supplement with folic acid. Is it absolutely necessary to stop these supplements because im actually following a protocol right now( dr wilson). Will it completely block methylfolate absorption even if i take at different times of the day?
3. how much potassium do i need to supplement with approximately. do i need to supplement with potassium everytime i take b12 and b9? Is there an average ratio of potassium to b12 and methylfolate? Will it affect the overall potassium /sodium ratio in a critical way?
4. Since my digestion is impaired im assuming sublinguals don’t work. So whats the best method for b12 and methylfolate? Nasal or injections? I don’t know of any methylfolate liquid or injections. Would you know where i can get it if it exists?
5. How come some people take b12 and get a boost of energy and others get tired? Is it because they don’t really lack b12 that much ? Are you supposed to feel tired and sick as long as you take b12 or will you eventually feel boost of energy? Feeling sick after taking b12 is because methylation cycle is overdriven? Also, in my case, since my nervous system is severely impaired and i have excessive sweating, do i need to take high doses of b12 and methylfolate for period of time to reverse damage if possible or to see even a small difference or its better not to over stimulate the methylation cycle?

6. i have high homocysteine levels so my methylation cycle is quite low as a result. I also once took an MSM supplement and didnt react to well to it.is it because it contains methyl ? I'm curious because i took folic acid 800 mcg and methylcobalamin 500 mcg in nasal spray and i had massive headaches, nausea, fever and very tired. Is it possible that i dont respond well to methyl supplements like methylcobalamin or these symptoms are " detox" symptoms whatever that means. If so, whats the best form of b12 and b9 that my body will be able to absorb and is methylcobalamin the only form of b12 that can repair nervous system( its my focus because of my excessive sweating)? Lastly, at what dosages should i start at?
Thank you all again.
Aqualina

xchocoholic

Hi aquilina,

I'm a celiac and sublinguils work well for me. Some celiacs heal and can absorb nutrients via their intestines normally again. No one seems to know who will heal and who won't tho. Also it's not just the celiac section of our digestive tracts getting damaged. Theglutenfile
explains this.

Now that you're gf, you may want to wait to see what changes your body makes on it's own. This
healing process can be taxing to your body. Once it's working again it will try to clear those metals.

If you go to celiac dot com or visit your local celiac support group you'll see healing can take time.
Other food and chemical intolerances appear to be normal for celiacs. I'd remove these asap but at
a comfortable pace.

Tc ... X

Thanks Xchocoholic! I'm officially gluten-free 5 months now but not 100 % because alot of ptoducts contain gluten but its not listed. I threw up after eating sliced cheese and found out online they put powdered wheat to make slices stick together! so i'm ultra careful. I hope you don't mind if I ask you, what kind of sublinguals do you take? b12 and folate? and how do you know its being absorbed by your body? how long have you been gluten-free for? Thanks again for your help! xoxo

xchocoholic

Sorry to hear that you got glutenned. There's one or more gluten free certification programs listed on the web now.
We have no fda gf standards in the us.

When I first went gf, in 2005, it took my body 3 weeks to recover trom being glutenned.
But I was getting neuro symptoms like eye twitching, myoclonus and insomnia.

Now I can eat those cross contaminated foods and not notice it depending on how bad it is. I'm
careful but I eat at whole foods and don't get sick now. Kow. I think taking dpp-iv helps me.

I couldn't digest and/or process (liver too sick) most supplements for about 2 years post starting the gf diet. After that I took metagenics b12 capsules, I forgot the name, which brought my numbers up to the 700 range. Subligual b12 infusion
took it way over the norm so I stopped taking it. I'm currently using vitamin water xxx or revive or enriched non dairy milks.

I really haven't found b12 to be that big a factor in my healing. But several Bs are giving me energy. I started walking normally 1 year post gf diet and
my b12 was in the 200 range. Imho, we need a variety of nutrients and waste too much time focusing on that one. You may have a lab in town where you can get your nutrient levels tested without a prescription. Serum levels are good to know but don't show what's making it to your cells.

Imho, 5 months with gluten cross contamination isn't enough time to see what all a gf diet can do for you. I was
told at my first celiac mtg to give it 2 years to feel healthy. That didn't happen for me but I have labs
etc that explain most of my remaining symptoms. An integrative doctor ran a ton of tests on me that really
helped.

Good luck. X

xchocoholic

Glad I could help. Hopefully, just avoiding gluten will help you heal. If not, many of the celiacs I know have other food and chemical intolerances. OTC Allergy meds may help with the reactions from these intolerances. Many of us here are using meds or supplements to control our mast cells.

FWIW, I'm not up on how celiacs handle metals (it may be on the celiac dot com board tho) but I've heard everything else you mentioned in your first post being associated with gluten intolerance, esp celiac, and these cleared up via diet. If you have a celiac or gluten sensitive group near you, you may want to attend. I was shocked at how many people had my symptoms. The NIH states on their celiac website that celiac is often misdiagnosed as cfs. The homemade GF food at these meetings is always a treat too.

Eating super foods may help you heal faster. Taking digestive enzymes, esp DPP-IV may help too.

good luck .. X