Julie Rehmeyer's 'Through the Shadowlands'
Writer Never Give Up talks about Julie Rehmeyer's new book "Through the Shadowlands: A Science Writer's Odyssey into an Illness Science Doesn't Understand" and shares an interview with Julie ...
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Examining clinical similarities between myalgic encephalomyelitis/chronic fatigue syndrome and d-lac

Discussion in 'Latest ME/CFS Research' started by Never Give Up, Jun 8, 2017.

1. Never Give Up

Never Give Up Collecting improvements, until there's a cure.

2. AndyPR

AndyPR Senior Member

A bit more detail. The paper is open access.

3. MeSci

MeSci ME/CFS since 1995; activity level 6?

Cornwall, UK
    There's a huge range of articles here about d-lactate/d-lactic acid - you'll find them if you search for 'lactate'.

4. SB_1108

SB_1108 Senior Member

Can we all start requesting lactate testing when we feel like we are in lactic acidosis? How would be the best way to measure? Anion gap? There are lactic acid meters. Would that work?

5. Valentijn

Valentijn Senior Member

A clinical blood gas analysis would include info regarding anion gap, and give more information about the type of acidosis (or alkalosis).

Yes, but only for testing lactate levels. They don't indicate if there's acidosis or not.

6. RogerBlack

RogerBlack Senior Member

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/28320179 "The purpose of this study was to investigate whether CFS patients without comorbid psychiatric diagnoses differ from CFS patients with comorbid psychiatric diagnoses and healthy control subjects in neuropsychological performance, the proportion with elevated spinal fluid protein or white cell counts, cerebral blood flow (CBF), brain ventricular lactate and cortical glutathione (GSH)."

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/22281935 "We found elevated ventricular lactate and decreased GSH in patients with CFS and MDD relative to HVs."

As I read the various papers, several seem to have taken possibly meaningful measures of lactate, for monitoring 'subclinical' effects.

ljimbo423 likes this.
  7. msf

msf Senior Member

When I saw this article I thought about the similar KDM article about 4 years ago, and then I thought about my father (who also had ME) talking about the lactic acid problems he had when I was maybe 10 years old (20 years ago, and he might have identified it as a lactic acid problem 15 years before that). Science sure moves slowly sometimes.

SB_1108 and Helen like this.

See more popular forum discussions.