1. Patients launch $1.27 million crowdfunding campaign for ME/CFS gut microbiome study.
    Check out the website, Facebook and Twitter. Join in donate and spread the word!
August 8th - What is the one thing about suffering with severe ME that the world needs to know?
Andrew Gladman brings our coverage of the Understanding & Remembrance Day for Severe ME, airing the voice of patients ...
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Evidence of Retrovirus Identified in Serum of ALS Patients

Discussion in 'XMRV Research and Replication Studies' started by shrewsbury, Jan 14, 2010.

1. shrewsbury

shrewsbury member

Neurology Today:
    6 March 2008 - Volume 8 - Issue 5 - pp 1,14
    doi: 10.1097/01.NT.0000314454.74483.a9

Evidence of Retrovirus Identified in Serum of ALS Patients
    Talan, Jamie

A retroviral marker has been quantified in serum from patients with amyotrophic lateral sclerosis (ALS) but scientists say that it is still not clear what the virus is or whether it is damaging motor neurons.

http://journals.lww.com/neurotodayo..._Retrovirus_Identified_in_Serum_of_ALS.1.aspx
  2. parvofighter

parvofighter Senior Member

Canada
    WOW!

Wow, Islandfinn, this is riveting. So many questions. Might the retroviral markers be the result of an endogenous retrovirus? Might this be XMRV, but they didn't use a PCR assay with the same sensitivity as WPI? Wonder if they'd get WPI to test the samples? INTERESTING that HIV patients with ALS-like symptoms improved with antiretrovirals!

Reminds me of something Michael J. Fox said about the onset of his Parkinsons. He was working at the time on a longer term project, and evidently a dysproportionate % of folks on that set went on to develop Parkinsons. Geez, so interesting - a possible viral link in neurodegenerative disorders...

Can't wait for the replication study! LOL (OK, a sick joke).:Retro redface:
  3. joyscobby

joyscobby Senior Member

I saw a link to a study on that linked on here in early October, just after the Science article. I think I remember something about a retrovirus (it may even have been xmrv) in the spinal fluid of ALS patients. I am not sure if it is the sme one as I have read loads with a very foggy brain. It stuck in my mind because of Sthephen Hawkings. I was trying to tell some one about it and could not remember the disease or his name. All I could say was it was what you know that the realy brainy guy ( hating to say it) the one in the wheel chair with the voice thing. It felt so unfomfortable to describe him so. (one of my worst brainfog descriptions)
    Anyway the person who posted that study might be able to check if is the same one
  4. SickOfSickness

SickOfSickness Senior Member

US
    Yes, very interesting news. This should go in the News section instead of here?
  5. August59

August59 Daughters High School Graduation

Upstate SC, USA
    Just a thought! With the recent events with XMRV and its impact on the testing, methodolgy behind the testing and a world wide effort of sorts to produce a standerized testing method for XMRV - Could this lead to the possible discovery of even more retroviruses or viruses?
  6. shrewsbury

shrewsbury member

sorry sofs - I was tired and didn't emphasize that while the article was published in 2008, I had just found it.
  7. I have just reread hong et al looking at XMRV transfection----the highest titres of XMRV in prostate cancer patients occcured in the semen! The semen actually stimulates XMRV replication-----Is there an amplification method here I wonder-------I wonder if the WPI know about this
  8. Robin

Robin Guest

I think it's fine in the XMRV research section. But, I can move it to "Other Health News" if you like.

See more popular forum discussions.