The Power and Pitfalls of Omics: George Davey Smith’s storming talk at ME/CFS conference
Read about the talk that stole the show at a recent ME/CFS conference in Simon McGrath's two-part blog.
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Evidence for the existence of ME/CFS with & without abdominal discomfort (irritable bowel) syndrome

Discussion in 'Latest ME/CFS Research' started by Bob, Dec 2, 2014.

1. Bob

Bob

England (south coast)
    Evidence for the existence of Myalgic Encephalomyelitis/Chronic Fatigue Syndrome (ME/CFS) with and without abdominal discomfort (irritable bowel) syndrome.
    Maes M, Leunis JC, Geffard M, Berk M.
    Neuro Endocrinol Lett. 2014 Nov 2;35(6):445-453. [Epub ahead of print]
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/25433843

Last edited: Dec 2, 2014
    MeSci, NK17, rosie26 and 5 others like this.
  2. Bob

Bob

England (south coast)
    Full paper not available yet. I'm reserving judgement until I can see the full paper.

I'd like to know how they have worked out that there were IgA and IgM responses specifically directed against the lipopolysaccharides (LPS) of commensal bacteria.

3. Sidereal

Sidereal Senior Member

The journal looks trash but I'd be curious to see the full text. Immune responses to commensal bacteria have previously been detected in other conditions like IBD.

4. A.B.

A.B. Senior Member

By chance, I found that vitamin A stops regular diarrhea / loose stools completely. I then learned that vitamin A is important for correct functioning of the immune system in the gut. A relevant article: Vitamin A: The Key to A Tolerant Immune System?

Edit: I take relatively large doses, and not indefinitely. I don't want to give exact recommendations here as there are potential safety issues. I'm not sure how much is required to get an effect either.

Last edited: Dec 2, 2014
  5. OverTheHills

OverTheHills

New Zealand
    How much do you take? Thats a big problem for me.
    OTH

6. PennyIA

PennyIA Senior Member

Iowa
    Interesting. When I did a quick search, I found that zinc and vitamin a are really starting to be cutting edge around persistent diarrhea and that there's some promise there.

Next, (After the fiasco of taking folic acid, b6, and cyanocobalamin to lower high homocysteine levels)... does anyone know if there are specific forms to take or NOT to take, or take with/without food, etc... what are the current 'best practices' on taking zinc, vitamin a (and if we know on the methylation process - impacts)...?

7. OverTheHills

OverTheHills

New Zealand
    Thanks, I think I'll give it a go.Ever the optimist OTH

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 2, 2014
  8. Martial

Martial Senior Member

Ventura, CA
    I am surprised a mainstream medical journal actually used the phrase "leaky gut". Though I of course don't doubt its existence I have never heard mainstream doctors even here of the terminology.

9. Snow Leopard

Snow Leopard Hibernating

South Australia
    The best shot at getting a copy of the paper is probably to ask M Maes himself...

10. MeSci

MeSci ME/CFS since 1995; activity level 6?

Cornwall, UK
    I just did a title search for the phrase 'leaky gut' in Highwire journal database and got 29 hits, including one in PLoS One and 2 in The Lancet.

See more popular forum discussions.