Looking Ahead to Change: Little by Little
I don't make New Year's Resolutions. I don't think I ever really did, but the last decade or two would have been enough to stifle that impulse. I've just been too aware that I don't have that much control over what happens in my life.
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Evidence for Sensitized Fatigue Pathways in Patients with Chronic Fatigue Syndrome

Discussion in 'Latest ME/CFS Research' started by Ecoclimber, Feb 9, 2015.

1. Ecoclimber

Ecoclimber Senior Member

Pain. 2015 Feb 5. [Epub ahead of print]
    Evidence for Sensitized Fatigue Pathways in Patients with Chronic Fatigue Syndrome.
    Staud R1, Mokthech M, Price DD, Robinson ME.

Abstract
    Patients with Chronic Fatigue Syndrome (CFS) frequently demonstrate intolerance to physical exertion that is often reported as increased and long-lasting fatigue.

As no specific metabolic alterations have been identified in CFS patients we hypothesized that sensitized fatigue pathways become activated during exercise corresponding with increased fatigue.

After exhausting handgrip-exercise, muscle-metabolites were trapped in the forearm tissues of 39 CFS patients and 29 NC by sudden occlusion for up to 5min. A non-occlusive condition of similar duration was used as control. Repeated fatigue and pain ratings were obtained before and after exercise.

Mechanical and heat hyperalgesia were assessed by quantitative sensory testing (QST).All subjects fulfilled the 1994 Fukuda-Criteria for CFS. NC and CFS subjects exercised for 6.6 (2.4) and 7.0 (2.7) min (p>.05). Forearm occlusion lasted for 4.7 (1.3) and 4.9 (1.8) min in NC and CFS subjects, respectively (p>.05). Whereas fatigue ratings of CFS subjects increased from 4.8 (2.0) to 5.6 (2.1) VAS units during forearm occlusion, they decreased from 5.0 (1.8) to 4.8 (2.0) VAS units during the control condition without occlusion (p=.04). A similar time course of fatigue ratings was observed in NC (p>.05) although their ratings were significantly lower than those of CFS subjects (p<.001).

QST-testing demonstrated heat and mechanical hyperalgesia in CFS subjects

Our findings provide indirect evidence for significant contributions of peripheral tissues to the increased exercise related fatigue in CFS patients consistent with sensitization of fatigue pathways. Future interventions that reduce sensitization of fatigue pathways in CFS patients may be of therapeutic benefit.

Iquitos likes this.
  2. Vic

Vic

Yep

3. alex3619

alex3619 Senior Member

Logan, Queensland, Australia
    Not quite correct. Doh. We KNOW there are metabolic alterations, we just haven't isolated them. We can measure the secondary effects via CPET.

Valentijn, Iquitos, peggy-sue and 7 others like this.
  4. adreno

adreno PR activist

There is evidence that CDP-choline counters hyperalgesia in rats, likely through activation of nicotinic and gabaergic receptors. I find it significantly decreases muscle pain and fatigue for me.

5. Iquitos

Iquitos Senior Member

Colorado
    @ adreno At what dosage, please?

6. adreno

adreno PR activist

A normal human dose is 500mg, but I find 250mg to be sufficient (i.e. not much further benefit in doubling the dose), but YMMV.

Iquitos likes this.

See more popular forum discussions.