Review: 'Through the Shadowlands’ describes Julie Rehmeyer's ME/CFS Odyssey
I should note at the outset that this review is based on an audio version of the galleys and the epilogue from the finished work. Julie Rehmeyer sent me the final version as a PDF, but for some reason my text to voice software (Kurzweil) had issues with it. I understand that it is...
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Every single symptom of "adrenal fatigue" matches caffiene withdraw

Discussion in 'Adrenal Dysfunction' started by drob31, Sep 7, 2017.

1. drob31

drob31 Senior Member

The thing about caffiene withdraw, however, is that most people think it should only last a few days. I'm seeing many anecdotal reports saying it can lasts 6 months or more.

Futhermore, if you have a caffeine "sensitivity," they could last up to a year.

However, I don't think caffiene withdraw explains "adrenal fatigue" by itself, I think that having caffiene withdraw adrenal fatigue prevents the HPA-axis from being able to recalibrate itself. So the withdraw has to be dealt with first, and could take a longer time than suspected.

1. Headache
      A caffeine headache usually starts behind the eyes and then moves up the front of the head.
    2. Sleepiness
      This just isn’t your normal tiredness, this is sitting up straight but still can’t keep your eyes open tiredness.
    3. Irritability
      Everyone and everything gets on your last nerve. It’s best just to lock yourself in your room during this stage.
    4. Lethargy
      Forget about productivity at this stage because you’ll be unmotivated to do anything from the feeling of the lack of energy.
    5. Constipation
      Caffeine stimulates the bowel, so without its daily dose the colon gets a little cranky too.
    6. Depression
      Caffeine withdrawal can take away all hope for living. Temporary blues are one thing, but if you already struggle with depression this could be a big issue.
    7. Muscle Pain, Stiffness, Cramping
      If you normally have some caffeine prior to exercise then during caffeine withdrawal you could feel as though your muscles have weights strapped to them.
    8. Lack of Concentration
      Forget school, studying, brain surgery, or jet engine repair during this stage of withdrawal.
    9. Flu-like symptoms
      Stuffy nose, blocked sinuses, and sinus pressure have all been reported by people withdrawing from caffeine.
    10. Insomnia
      Some people actually can’t sleep when going through caffeine withdrawal.
    11. Nausea and Vomiting
      Some people can’t even think about food the first couple days of withdrawal which compounds the feeling of lethargy.
    12. Anxiety
      In some people, caffeine actually causes anxiety, but in others, withdrawing from the drug can cause feelings on anxiety and even panic attacks have been reported by some.
    13. Brain Fog
      Withdrawal can cause some people to experience brain fog which is described as the difficulty of having coherent thoughts, difficulty thinking, and the difficulty of doing common tasks.
    14. Dizziness
      Caffeine withdrawal can cause some people to lose their sense of equilibrium.
    15. Heart Rhythm Abnormalities
      Since caffeine also stimulates the heart muscle, some people experience changes in their heart rhythm during withdrawal. Both low blood pressure and even palpitations have been reported.

2. TigerLilea

TigerLilea Senior Member

Vancouver, British Columbia
    I used to drink a lot of coffee every day; somewhere in the neighbourhood of 20 cups per day. As a result of ingesting that much caffeine I started getting anxiety and panic attacks. It took two years before the connection was made between my symptoms and the caffeine. I quit drinking coffee cold turkey and I went through hell. I had the worst headache of my life, the anxiety was unbearable, my one eye felt like someone had stuck an ice pick through it. However, it only lasted for three days. By day five I felt great and no more anxiety or panic attacks.

If someone is reporting six to twelve months for withdrawal, I would have to think that there was something else going on. Even drug addicts and alcoholics who go through withdrawal are usually much better within one to two weeks.

Orla and Murph like this.
  3. drob31

drob31 Senior Member

I still think this could affect everyone differently. Let's say you're HPA-axis is already dysregulated. Then a withdraw could last significantly longer.

notmyself likes this.
  4. TigerLilea

TigerLilea Senior Member

I agree that everyone will respond differently; I just think that six months to a year seems unlikely to completely clear caffeine from the brain and body.

notmyself likes this.
  5. Murph

Murph :)

At one point I wrote this about giving up coffee. it really screwed me up!

Attached Files:

TigerLilea likes this.
  6. TigerLilea

TigerLilea Senior Member

I should add that after I quit drinking coffee, I gained 40 lbs in three months. And it wasn't because I was eating more food. My metabolism changed and for the first time in my life I could gain weight. Before that I was always skinny.

Murph, I found since quitting caffeine that I can't drink anything with full strength caffeine without becoming wired and not being able to sleep. When I was drinking 20 cups a day, I could sleep like a baby. But now, just one cup of regular coffee even if it's in the morning, and I'm awake until at least 4 a.m.

Woolie and Murph like this.
  7. notmyself

notmyself Senior Member

withdrawal probably affects people in different way,last longer in some than others..but i honestly think caffeine withdrawal will not last nowhere near 6 months..in my case was 2-3 days...all the literature about it say 1-2 weeks max..is one of the easy ''drugs'' to quit..much easier than nicotine..but caffeine can be be extremelly harmful for people with adrenal adn hormonal issues..i felt better after i quit..

8. Woolie

Woolie Senior Member

That's interesting. When I did fitness instructor training way back, the current wisdom was that there's an optimal coffee intake that can help support weight loss/maintenance. 2 cups a day. The coffee helps in two ways - by raising your metabolism a bit and also by reducing you food intake a bit (people apparently eat a bit less if a meal or snack is accompanied by coffee). But once you go over the optimum level, it was believed that compensatory mechanisms kicked in that ended up actually lowering your metabolic rate.

The 2 cups a day was based, I think, on european style coffee shots of the kind used to make espresso, latte, etc.. American style filter coffee may be different (and it might have more caffeine than you think, if its made with the cheaper robusta beans which contain more caffeine)

9. drob31

drob31 Senior Member

Caffiene works by blocking adenosine receptors, adenosine promotes calmness / sleepiness. By blocking these it makes you highly alert, however to compensate, your brain creates more receptors, so when you finally quit you have many more receptors than you started with, and thus feel more more tired / sleepy than normal until they downregulate.

notmyself likes this.
  10. IreneF

IreneF Senior Member

San Francisco
    I love coffee, but I hardly ever drink more than 3 cups/day.

See more popular forum discussions.