Invest in ME Conference 12: First Class in Every Way
OverTheHills wraps up our series of articles on this year's 12th Invest in ME International Conference (IIMEC12) in London with some reflections on her experience as a patient attending the conference for the first time.
Discuss the article on the Forums.

EVENT! From The #MEAction network.

Discussion in 'Action Alerts and Advocacy' started by aimossy, Feb 21, 2015.

1. aimossy

aimossy Senior Member

From the FB page:

We are hosting a Google Hangout next Wednesday, February 25th at 12pm PT/ 3pm ET / 8pm GMT with Beth and Jennifer Brea. It's an informal conversation to discuss our vision (and some of the tools) for ‪#‎MEAction‬ and to invite everyone to start contributing their feedback on what they want and what this group might be.

Please join us!
    https://plus.google.com/…/events/coi16b6guc8nuidbtphg6bqqja4

Also, a bit of homework: Some of the tools and concepts we will use for our own site are based on http://350.org. Have a look around – it will give you a flavor of what the future might be.

Want to volunteer? Email meactionassistant@gmail.com

#MEAction is not an advocacy organization. It is a bottom up, mass movement aimed at helping activists connect, find resources, and scale their projects.

Here is sneak peak of what we are hoping to unveil this spring:
    – A professional brand concept that can be used by activists around the world
    – Tools for organizing events, petitions, and fundraising that help make it easier for activists to self-organize and scale their projects
    – A directory of volunteers to help match projects with people who have specific skills
    – Tools for contacting or petitioning members of Congress (US) and Parliament (UK) – (we hope to expand to other countries as well!)
    – Printed training modules as well as virtual workshops that draw upon the skills of professional organizers and veteran activists from all around the social issue landscape.

Last edited: Feb 21, 2015
    oceiv, GracieJ, SOC and 7 others like this.
  2. DanME

DanME Senior Member

Sounds wonderful. I will definetly participate!

I started to work for a German ME advocacy and always thought, we need better ways to connect and coordinate world wide to give our movement more gravitas and momemtum. Imagine e.g. how much easier it would be to crowdfund for important research, if we all advertised for it at the same time in 50 different countries. :)

Thanks for your work, it is very much appreciated!

oceiv, GracieJ, Delia and 1 other person like this.
  3. taniaaust1

taniaaust1 Senior Member

Sth Australia
    Sounds a great idea

Will ME action include things like templates on their website as tools for advocates to be able to use? I think we'd have far more of us advocating certain things if there templates around the place for different types of advocacy eg a letter someone can take with them to give a new doctor they see.

Im wondering if something like that can be part of the resources for people?

oceiv, Delia and aimossy like this.
  4. aimossy

aimossy Senior Member

I think things like that could definitely come about from something like this @taniaaust1

oceiv, Delia and taniaaust1 like this.
  5. Delia

Delia Senior Member

Iowa
    The 350.org link didn't work for me.

Another example of inspiration I'd like to see us try is Color of Change http://colorofchange.org

As well as the join us link. Not sure what's going in with me.

oceiv likes this.
  6. Wally

Wally Senior Member

@Delia and anyone else who was not able to connect to the original link.
    Try this link. https://plus.google.com/u/0/events/coi16b6guc8nuidbtphg6bqqja4

FYI - The Google "Hangout" starts today (Wednesday - 2/25/2015) at 12:00 pm (PST.

Delia likes this.
  7. Delia

Delia Senior Member

Iowa
    I wasn't able to participate but did get the links via a different email. I like the the 350 site a lot.

8. aimossy

aimossy Senior Member

The recorded Q and A link on youtube.

oceiv, WillowJ, Scarecrow and 2 others like this.
  9. DanME

DanME Senior Member

Thx you so much! I participated and the Q&A was really interesting and inspiring.
    The ME Action Network seems to be a fantastic project. I hope, your vision will come true and it will be much easier to connect and start interesting and effective projects worldwide in the future.

oceiv and searcher like this.
  10. Scarecrow

Scarecrow Revolting Peasant

Scotland
    Outstanding idea. Good luck with it.

oceiv, aimossy and Sasha like this.
  11. WillowJ

WillowJ คภภเє ɠรค๓թєl

WA, USA
    was there any text info? 54 minutes is too long a video for me.

I'm really hopeful that this group will be what we need, but I'm unable to participate in hangouts on relatively short notice, or listen to long videos.

oceiv and Ritto like this.
  12. oceiv

oceiv Senior Member

@aimossy I'd like to follow the progress of #MEAction, The ME Action Network. I might be missing it, but was there a working link posted? Is there a site other than an FB page, for people who don't like or use FB? Are there any Twitter accounts to follow?

I agree with @Delia that Color of Change is a great model for how grassroots action can get big things done.

13. aimossy

aimossy Senior Member

Oh sorry @oceiv there is a website and sign up to receive info! Ill just go find it for you.

Last edited: Mar 20, 2015
    oceiv likes this.
  14. aimossy

aimossy Senior Member

oceiv likes this.
  15. oceiv

oceiv Senior Member

Thanks, @aimossy. I will definitely be signing up. I'm excited to see what this movement has in its future.

aimossy likes this.

See more popular forum discussions.