• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Even “Minor” Infections Can Cause Chronic Fatigue Syndrome (ME/CFS)

Learner1

This thread is certainly relevant in my case. Within 6 months of sustaining a bad head injury I developed Prostatitis- I was never the same after that, the weird thing is the initial "infection" came with a weird facial/head pain as well. The "prostatitis" never went away and turned into "chronic pelvic pain syndrome".. and seemed to effect the whole body. My theory is my immune system was knocked down by the injury which allowed an infection which normally have never occured to take hold.
Might your vagus nerve be a factor?

http://simmaronresearch.com/2013/12...gus-nerve-infection-chronic-fatigue-syndrome/

ljimbo423

This thread is certainly relevant in my case. Within 6 months of sustaining a bad head injury I developed Prostatitis- I was never the same after that, the weird thing is the initial "infection" came with a weird facial/head pain as well. The "prostatitis" never went away and turned into "chronic pelvic pain syndrome".. and seemed to effect the whole body. My theory is my immune system was knocked down by the injury which allowed an infection which normally have never occured to take hold.

Hi jump44 - Here is a paper that just came out this year that is very informative.

Gut microbiome and chronic prostatitis/chronic pelvic pain syndrome

jump44

Hi jump44 - Here is a paper that just came out this year that is very informative.

Gut microbiome and chronic prostatitis/chronic pelvic pain syndrome

Thanks. Ive been on courses of Xifaxin off and on since 2015. It is mildly helpful.. also take probiotics of all kinds.. diet changes. these things all are transient in their effects -sometimes pretty good, others not so much. I was also prescribed cipro, bactrim, and others for my pelvic pain. None of these really helped-but they sure did a number on my stomach and really pushed me from a liveable form of cfs to something completely different.

jump44

Learner1

certainly seems as plausible a theory as any. I have Mri proof of brain injury along with immune abnormalities. I have a lot of symptoms that occur on the left side of my body including sinus pressure, lower abdominal stomach numbness/pain, spleen pain, pressure in the left ear..You get the idea.
Its been implicated in Parkinson's, too...

Wonder about auto antibodies and what's in CSF, too...

mariovitali

@Hanna

Exactly right. In my opinion our bodies can be affected towards CFS/ME mainly from (list not inclusive) :

a) Infection
b) Medication
c) After a surgery
d) Psychological Stress

It is great that people with Post-Accutane syndrome and Post-finasteride syndrome begin thinking there is a link here as many of their symptoms resemble those of CFS/ME.

Note that (a) and (b) most likely go hand in hand and the same holds for (b)+(c) so as you understand the Liver is stressed even more because you have two factors that overload our detox system (Virus + Medication). A good question would be : whether people who got CFS/ME after a surgery, actually got it after the medication that was given prior and after the surgery (?)

All of these factors (Viruses + medications) generate Oxidative stress and then Endoplasmic Reticulum stress and then the Unfolded Protein Response.

http://algogenomics.blogspot.com/2017/08/dili-viruses-and-er-stress.html

Please see the chart here and see how many Topics you heard before : Mitochondria, Cytokines, Inflammation, Innate Immune System, B and T Cells :

http://forums.phoenixrising.me/inde...sted-research-on-cfs.51283/page-5#post-890015

Last edited:

Learner1

@Hanna

Exactly right. In my opinion our bodies can be affected towards CFS/ME mainly from (list not inclusive) :

a) Infection
b) Medication
c) After a surgery
d) Psychological Stress

It is great that people with Post-Accutane syndrome and Post-finasteride syndrome begin thinking there is a link here as many of their symptoms resemble those of CFS/ME.

Note that (a) and (b) most likely go hand in hand and the same holds for (b)+(c) so as you understand the Liver is stressed even more because you have two factors that overload our detox system (Virus + Medication). A good question would be : whether people who got CFS/ME after a surgery, actually got it after the medication that was given prior and after the surgery (?)

All of these factors (Viruses + medications) generate Oxidative stress and then Endoplasmic Reticulum stress and then the Unfolded Protein Response.

http://algogenomics.blogspot.com/2017/08/dili-viruses-and-er-stress.html

Please see the chart here and see how many Topics you heard before : Mitochondria, Cytokines, Inflammation, Innate Immune System, B and T Cells :

http://forums.phoenixrising.me/inde...sted-research-on-cfs.51283/page-5#post-890015
Thank you for sharing these... Your theory fits me to a T - my CFS was triggered by:

1) hysterectomy for uterine cancer

2) carboplatin/paclitaxe chemotherapy which specially target mitichondria

3) acting as health advocate during my sister's serious illness and death

4) 6 infections, including EBV, CMV and HHV6, that reactivated and a dysfunctional immune system

The cancer world seems to be entirely tone deaf to the fact that this can happen. I can't imagine I'm the only patient this has happened to.

And I've been struck by all the focus on all the money and resources going into immunotherapy in cancer vs. the lack of it in CFS research.

I recently met another CFS patient who, like me, had tried to see every top immunologist in our major US city, only to find we weren't allowed to, because they only see people with ACTIVE CANCER!

What's wrong with this picture? These theories need more attention by researchers.... and clinicians...