The 12th Invest in ME Conference, Part 1
OverTheHills presents the first article in a series of three about the recent 12th Invest In ME international Conference (IIMEC12) in London.
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Evaluating interactive fatigue management workshops for occupational health professionals in the UK

Discussion in 'Latest ME/CFS Research' started by Tom Kindlon, Aug 8, 2014.

1. Tom Kindlon

Tom Kindlon Senior Member

(Not a recommendation)

Free full text: http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S209379111400050X

Last edited: Aug 8, 2014
    Valentijn likes this.
  2. Tom Kindlon

Frustrating/annoying article, unless you're a fan of the CBT/GET school of thought regarding ME/CFS.

One can get an idea of what was taught in Tables 1 & 3, and the qualitative analysis section of the results.

Min and Valentijn like this.
  3. Cheshire

Cheshire Senior Member

How did they verify the general knowledge of fatigue? With self rated questionnaire like in the PACE trial??

Translation: Participants showed significantly higher levels of confidence in misdiagnosing and illtreating ME/CFS

High scores were maintained at T3: they are evaluating everything like CBT trial!!!

And by the way, what exactly is an occupational Health professional?

Last edited: Aug 8, 2014
    Valentijn and Tom Kindlon like this.
  4. Tom Kindlon

Article is not up on PubMed yet. When it does go up, I intend to post the following as a PubMed Commons comment:

Sean, biophile, Valentijn and 2 others like this.
  5. Esther12

Esther12 Senior Member

I'd just bumped this thread in response to this article (or the abstract - not read the whole thing): http://forums.phoenixrising.me/inde...rom-pace-in-2011-still-not.23157/#post-490524

It's on a pro-CBT occupational guidelines report.

Still not been reviewed and updated with the PACE data.

biophile, Valentijn and Dolphin like this.
  6. Valentijn

Valentijn The Diabolic Logic

Some of the unsubstantiated and scientifically contradicted statements used to brainwash the participants:
    In addition to the ones above needing to be corrected, I think they should've added a few:
    GET and CBT lead to objective improvements in CFS patients. (FALSE)
    CFS patients often improve when active chronic infections are detected and treated. (TRUE)
    The 2-day CPET is a reliable indicator that reduced functioning in CFS patients is not due to deconditioning. (TRUE)

And so on :p

Tom Kindlon, Bob, biophile and 2 others like this.
  7. alex3619

alex3619 Senior Member

Logan, Queensland, Australia
    What are they measuring? Understanding or the use of evidence based medicine? No. They are measuring absorption of a checklist of things for which at least some of the answers the authors themselves got wrong, or have a confused and misleading interpretation of.

Sean, biophile, Wildcat and 1 other person like this.
  8. Min

Min Guest

UK
    "fatigue"?

That tells us all we need to know about their workshops. More abuse and neglect for those with the neurological illness myalgic encephalomyelitis.

Valentijn and Wildcat like this.

See more popular forum discussions.