• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Euthanasia

caledonia

I know this sounds ridiculous in the light of my recent posts but I'm not particularly depressed. I am just worn out and tired of the inevitable. I am, perhaps, looking at things more rationally than before. You are right though Brenda, I am definitely not normal since coming off the meds. I am hugely improved both mentally and physically but there are many months or years to go until my brain is fully healed.
I am not ready to commit suicide although I know exactly how I would do it if euthanasia was not available. I would just very much like there to be a way out when I decide that I have had enough.

I looked back in your posts and see that you came off of psych meds. I have experience with this. It can cause a very severe and prolonged withdrawal syndrome. For me it was ten months of the most horrendous symptoms, the worst being akathisia, which felt like I had drunk 1000 pots of coffee. It was relentless, 24 hours a day, every day for 10 months. I call it my "lost year".

I had a friend who, about a year before that, tried Zoloft for 2 weeks then killed himself. I didn't understand what happened until it happened to me. Since then, I've done a bunch of research on pysch drugs and "discontinuation syndrome" as the drug companies call it. A person can have this syndrome anytime they start, stop or change doses of a psych drug.

The good news is, recovery is definitely possible. If you quit cold turkey, in most cases, you would recover within 3 years. Some people might take 5 years for some symptoms. There may be supplements you can use for support.

In my case, I was able to get out of it by carefully reinstating my original drug, and doing large amounts of calming supplements. Then when I felt stabilized, I started on a very, very slow taper back off the drug. I'm currently 3-1/2 years into probably a 5 year taper. So far so good, there have only been mild symptoms.

You can get information and support from http://survivingantidepressants.org/

brenda

@digital dog

I can truly understand, having had a special needs child who never slept and ME which nearly finished me off. Those little glimpses of wellness are a good sign, of what is possible for you. Hang onto them.

digital dog

Thank you brenda,. I honestly don't know how you coped. I do hang onto those glimpses. They are all I have.
Caledonia I had akathisia and I was suicidal for almost two years. I would WITHOUT DOUBT be dead if I didn't have a child.
I got akatheisa from fish oil and walnut oil. Happened from day one. One day I was sick but happy, the next I was a screaming, suicidal mess. I was diagnosed with bipolar and had a psychiatric nurse visit me. He was an absolute wonder but would never accept that a supplement caused it.
I think my brain had been so damaged by all the drugs that the fish oil was the straw that broke the camels back.

caledonia

Thank you brenda,. I honestly don't know how you coped. I do hang onto those glimpses. They are all I have.
Caledonia I had akathisia and I was suicidal for almost two years. I would WITHOUT DOUBT be dead if I didn't have a child.
I got akatheisa from fish oil and walnut oil. Happened from day one. One day I was sick but happy, the next I was a screaming, suicidal mess. I was diagnosed with bipolar and had a psychiatric nurse visit me. He was an absolute wonder but would never accept that a supplement caused it.
I think my brain had been so damaged by all the drugs that the fish oil was the straw that broke the camels back.

I'm very sorry to hear about the akathisia - it's the worst feeling ever, and the reason people might commit suicide or homicide on these drugs. Two years, I cannot imagine. You should be very proud of yourself for having survived it.

Fish oil as a trigger - interesting. Depending on the source, fish oil could contain contaminants such as mercury or PCBs. Mercury could definitely cause mental health issues. I'm not sure about PCBs, but I'm sure whatever their effect is, it's not good.

If you already had a borderline amount of mercury toxicity, adding a little more mercury from fish oil could be the last straw.

Ps. I just happened to come back and check this thread and see your message to me. If you want to be sure I see your message, tag me like this: @caledonia.

Little Bluestem

All Good Things Must Come to an End
The very bottom line for most of us, regardless of our circumstances, is that we can simply choose not to eat or drink.

(I do not know for sure how this would play out in other countries, and how much influence other people - family, or health care staff - would have).
My guess is that if someone chose not to eat or drink, as opposed to being unable to eat or drink, they could be declared mentally incompetent. They would have to be found before they died, but it takes longer than I realized to die of dehydration.

Vojta

Dignitas in Switzerland would do it for severe patients I guess but it's not that easy too. You need one or two independent examinations from swiss doctors I don't remember exactly. When I researched it I found it too bothersome to go through whole process when my condition is really bad. My backup plan is to fly to Thailand and buy Nembutal at a vet supply store. I call it my endgame scenario of last resort.

digital dog

I don't think you can get nembutal anymore. I researched this.
A doctor in Australia does sell a suicide kit but only to those over 50. Obviously you can't be suicidal before the age!!
It's all so bloody confusing. Seems too much hassle and work to be honest.

OkRadLakPok

Digital-------OH HOW you describe things!!!! You said one good day, only to see how much you have missed. The pictures you look at. The understanding how good things are when well!!!! One day, "I am in Heaven!"

Oh, you know how many people feel like you do. It has driven me to peer into the end of my uncle's gun, try to do a variety of painful things to myself for naught and watch time stop when it is still going for others who are not even aware of time. Illness makes you aware of time. Time you have to do nothing. Time you have lost. How much time you STILL HAVE to go on and on and on!!!

I hope you have a good day today. I really do. I hope we all have at least some parts of this day that are good. Your post brought me to tears. I hate it, too.

OkRadLakPok

Dignitas in Switzerland would do it for severe patients I guess but it's not that easy too. You need one or two independent examinations from swiss doctors I don't remember exactly. When I researched it I found it too bothersome to go through whole process when my condition is really bad. My backup plan is to fly to Thailand and buy Nembutal at a vet supply store. I call it my endgame scenario of last resort.

Yes, I looked into it. Expensive and also the pressure to do it. Say you go and you are all ready and then, at the end, you decide, "I just can't" Well, all that for nothing...........

kangaSue

Yes, I looked into it. Expensive and also the pressure to do it. Say you go and you are all ready and then, at the end, you decide, "I just can't" Well, all that for nothing...........
It's not for nothing though, it gives you piece of mind just to have it on hand. From what I've heard, most never actually use it but it's their choice to make if and when it comes down to it.

Last edited:

OkRadLakPok

Interesting about akathisia. I have gotten that, too, though I am not sure what triggered it. It is a terrible terrible thing and way more linked to suicide in my opinion than depression which is bad enough! There is no escape from it! What I found to help was to totally stop eating for a day or two which is almost impossible because you cannot stop moving. I don't know why that helps. Drinking a lot (water) helped and meditation did somewhat if I could sit still which I could not. Sitting with someone just to help me feel the time going by safely helped.
I tend to be hyper, but this is different. This is hell is what it is.

kangaSue

Interesting about akathisia. I have gotten that, too, though I am not sure what triggered it. It is a terrible terrible thing and way more linked to suicide in my opinion than depression which is bad enough! There is no escape from it! What I found to help was to totally stop eating for a day or two which is almost impossible because you cannot stop moving. I don't know why that helps. Drinking a lot (water) helped and meditation did somewhat if I could sit still which I could not. Sitting with someone just to help me feel the time going by safely helped.
I tend to be hyper, but this is different. This is hell is what it is.
Would the 5:2 diet work in place of a complete fast for 2 days, that's 5 days of unrestricted calorie intake and 2 non consecutive days restricted to a 600 calorie intake (for males, 500 for females) each week.

OkRadLakPok

I don't know. When it happened it was like a blur. I tried to stay out of the house and that is why I fasted. It was kind of unintentional. I do notice fasting helps, but I would not do it regularly. I never heard of 5:2. I will look it up!