• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

European Research Association for Somatisation and Medically Unexplained Symptoms (EURASMUS)

Dolphin

I was told about this group today:

The multidisciplinary European Research Association for Somatisation and Medically Unexplained Symptoms (EURASMUS) was formed to study the genetic, psychological and physiological mechanisms underlying bodily distress.

The research focuses on several biological and psychological processes that occur across all types of bodily distress, e.g.:
- heightened sensitivity to pain
- tendency to experience and worry about numerous bodily symptoms
- marked fatigue

http://eurasmus.net/

Partner

Convenor:

1. Francis CREED
Manchester Royal Infirmary
Manchester
United Kingdom
francis.creed@manchester.ac.uk

Co-Convenor:

2. Peter HENNINGSEN
Klinikum rechts der Isar
der Technischen Universität München
München
Germany
P.henningsen@tum.de

ESF Representative:

3. Janos Réthelyi
Department of Psychiatry and Psychoterapy
Semmelweis University
Budapest
Hungary
retjan@net.sote.hu

Participants:

4. Hans KNOOP
Radboud University Nijmegen Medical Centre
Nijmegen
The Netherlands
j.knoop@nkcv.umcn.nl

5. Per Klausen FINK
The Research Clinic for Functional Disorders and Psychosomatics
Aarhus University Hospital
Aarhus
Denmark
malene.skjoeth@aarhus.rm.dk

6. John MCBETH
Arc Epidemiology Unit
University of Manchester
Manchester
United Kingdom
helen.flint@manchester.ac.uk

7. Christina VAN DER FELTZ-CORNELIS
Trimbos Intituut/ Netherlands institute of Mental Health and Addiction
Utrecht
The Netherlands
dheijnert@trimbos.nl

8. J.G.M. ROSMALEN
Interdisciplinary Center for Psychiatric Epidemiology
University Medical Center Groningen
Groningen
The Netherlands
j.g.m.rosmalen@med.umcg.nl

9. Ralph MAGER
Universitäre Psychiatrische KlinikenBasel (UPK)
Basel
Switzerland
ram@coat-basel.com

10. Lukas VAN OUDENHOVE
Secretary of Liaison Psychiatry
University Hospital Gasthuisberg
Leuven
Belgium
Lukas.VanOudenhove@med.kuleuven.be

11. Bernd LÖWE
Institut und Poliklinik für Psychosomatische Medizin und Psychotherapie
Universitätsklinikum Hamburg-Eppendorf
Hamburg
Germany
b.loewe@uke.uni-hamburg.de

12. Kari Ann LEIKNES
Institute of Basic Medical Sciences,
Department of Behavioural Sciences in Medicine
Faculty of Medicine
University of Oslo
Oslo
Norway
kari.ann.leiknes@kunnskapssenteret.no

13. Wendy THOMSON
arc Epidemiology Unit
School of Translational Medicine
Epidemiology Research Group
Stopford Building
University of Manchester
Manchester
United Kingdom
Wendy.thomson@manchester.ac.uk
14. Kenji KATO
School of Nursing and Rehabilitation
International University of Health and Welfare
Kanagawa 250-8588
Japan
kenji-kato@umin.ac.jp

15. Peter D WHITE
Barts and the London School of Medicine and Dentistry,
Queen Mary University of London
St Bartholomew's Hospital
London
United Kingdom
p.d.white@qmul.ac.uk

16. Nancy PEDERSEN
Karolinska Institutet
Department of Medical Epidemiology and Biostatistics
Stockholm
Sweden
Marie.Krushammar@ki.se

17. Judith PRINS
Radboud University Nijmegen Medical Centre
Nijmegen
The Netherlands
J.Prins@mps.umcn.nl

18. Winfried RIEF
Klinische Psychologie und Psychotherapie
Universität Marburg
Marburg
Germany
rief@staff.uni-marburg.de

19. Harald GÜNDEL
Klinische Psychiatrie und Psychotherapie
Medizinische Hochschule Hannover
Hannover
Germany
Psychosomatik@mh-hannover.de

20. Thomas TÖLLE
Klinikum rechts der Isar der Technischen Universität München
Neurologische Klinik
München
Germany
toelle@lrz.tu-muenchen.de

21. Karl-Heinz LADWIG
Helmholtz-Zentrum
Oberschleissheim
Germany
ladwig@helmholtz-muenchen.de
Quite a few of the names are familiar from CFS research

Last edited:
They make no secret of their real views!

It reads like a line-up of the worst suspects.

Sad that these people are getting more support. But Europe has to be seen to be dealing with these problems, and to outsiders, it appears that these guys are the "experts".

SilverbladeTE

World Acknowledged Numbnuts Kooks Enervating Raving Smegheads

crainiomenter.jpg

SilverbladeTE

They make no secret of their real views!

It reads like a line-up of the worst suspects.

Sad that these people are getting more support. But Europe has to be seen to be dealing with these problems, and to outsiders, it appears that these guys are the "experts".

of course they are getting more support, because the swings and roundabouts of the Human Reality have revived an evil that should have died long ago
same crap, slightly different football strip, that's all

this

eugenics_congress_logo.png

lead to stuff I won't post pics off

which lead to this

Wernher-Von-Braun-25.jpg

which was part of the actual biggest threat to Democracy: the proverbial but factual Military/Industrial and also Banking complex
and so the same old evil got "acceptable" again to people who have no concern for "little people"...

chipmunk1

- marked fatigue

These are fairly unspecific, not uncommon and not only seen in "psychiatric" disorders.

The last two are completely useless.

tendency to experience and worry about numerous bodily symptoms

This is what about 99% of people with a chronic illness do.

Example:
  • Frequent urination.
  • Excessive thirst.
  • Increased hunger.
  • Weight loss.
  • Tiredness.
  • Lack of interest and concentration.
  • A tingling sensation or numbness in the hands or feet.
  • Blurred vision.
And these are the symptoms of a psychosomatic condition? At least 2/3 of the symptoms would suggest a psychiatric condition, Depression for example.

So if I have these and I worry about my symptoms, I must have somatization disorder right?

Maybe but these are also the symptoms of Diabetes.

marked fatigue

Fatigue can occur in so many medical conditions....

Skippa

Anti-BS
It (this all too frequent position) is exactly the opposite of good science.

They start by assuming their hypothesis to be fact, and then attempt to "explain" it.

(as opposed to proposing a hypothesis and then attempting to prove/disprove it).

"They" so often reverse engineer their square pegs to fit round holes.

msf

I think the ERASMUS students in my neighbourhood have a better chance of getting to the bottom of ME than this lot. I mean, they are starting from a higher base: complete ignorance, rather than complete ignorance and nonsensical prejudice.

Deepwater

It (this all too frequent position) is exactly the opposite of good science.

They start by assuming their hypothesis to be fact, and then attempt to "explain" it.

(as opposed to proposing a hypothesis and then attempting to prove/disprove it).

"They" so often reverse engineer their square pegs to fit round holes.

Indeed, working in reverse seems to be the essence of their religion. They regularly confuse cause and effect (e.g. we are clapped out because we don't exercise rather than we don't exercise because we are clapped out; we have nasty symptoms because we worry about being ill rather than we worry about being ill because we have nasty symptoms ...).
Perhaps they also wear their coats inside out as a secret sign to fellow believers.
Is there actually an illness that doesn't make people fatigued? Not many, I should have thought.
Don't know what Erasmus would make of their bad spelling either.

SilverbladeTE

In some way somatization is the eugenics of the healthcare system. You sacrifice the useless eater patients to have more resources for the "deserving sick". Of course all for the greater good.

exactly
it's a way of "categorizing", or rather legitimizing the abuse and demonizing, of one group, to improve the ego of one group and also, steal the resources of the victims
hence, old evil, redone time and time again through history, just getting more and more "polished" as it goes on
made to look "official", acceptable, "the men in the white coats say they deserve it!" rather than the priests, tyrants or whatever

SilverbladeTE

Why do these people keep talking about unexplained symptoms when they are deeply convinced to already have an universal explanation for everything unexplained.

Aye!
I posted the image of the phrenologist at work quite deliberately
SAME arrogant, stupid, wasteful bullshit

REAL science knows absolutely NOTHING is "certain", not one thing
everything has to be constantly re-evaluated every time any evidence comes along that touches on it
but many aren't scientific no matter what they say, they want and must have certainty, all they really are, is blind priests of the mad go of Ego.
They will force reality to fit THEIR demands! and in the process, bugger things, and people, right up.
and a few are just outright criminals, using the "dubiousness" of Medical world to manipulate things for those who will pay them to do so

People if you can, please consider signing this petition. It is so important. http://bit.ly/1T2Aus9
MUPS or MUS is becoming the next big thing with respect to ME or CFS. It will affect all of us. Eventhough there is no evidence base for the biopsychosocial model, nor the treatments MUPS "experts" actively promote, CBT!

Yesterday we found out that 2 members of the Dutch Health Council committee, with task to write advisory report on ME to parliament (in total almost HALF of the committee consists of MUPS experts) not only wrote articles with White and/or Wessely, we knew that, but they are in EURASMUS
So, Judith Rosmalen and Hans Knoop (2 members of the Health council) are direct colleagues with White + Per Fink (yes, the one from Karina!) http://eurasmus.net/

In the Netherlands there is a 1.5 million Euro project funded by health insurers to get ME (MUPS professionals, see ME and CFS as MUPS) patients referred to mental health clinics for CBT. these 2 members of the committee are involved in this project also.

Please if you can help, help and sign the petition. If you can ask others to sign and share this, please do. Dutch patients can really use all the help we can get. The biopsychosocial model does not apply to ME, CBT is no cure ! http://bit.ly/1T2Aus9

This MUS "diagnosis" is not just what is happening in the Netherlands, Its the old school Wessely FSS influence. See also twitter hashtag MUS2016, conference in UK yesterday......

please help

u&iraok

The research focuses on several biological and psychological processes that occur across all types of bodily distress, e.g.:
- marked fatigue
- tendency to experience anger when presented with the research

I added the last one, they might as well!

"tendency to experience and worry about numerous bodily symptoms" - only healthy people say things like this. It's due to lack of empathy which they can't have because they don't know what sickness is.

But if they possessed compassion and humility they could apply sympathy and suspension of disbelief.

SilverbladeTE

they have a lack of empathy because some are sociopaths and others are just plain, willingly, cold-bloodedly evil who CHOSE to not empathize with the sick and injured, but play act if necessary to maintain the charade that they are "healers".
They get a kick out of being in charge, in control, which is THE big thing for evil people, sometimes they don't start out evil but the need for control becomes a lust for them and consumes them

A farmer may raise cattle for slaughter and thus cannot get too emotionally close with them, but he is not hypocritical, he is not wicked and most will care for their animals well being, if only from the necessity of financial support of the farmer's life.

But a farmer who deliberately confuses, upsets, mistreats, prevents treatment of some hurts and ills, and treats his animals with contempt, is not a "farmer" at all but a sick or evil son of a b*tch.
His farm can only continue provided his rich family or desperate hungry people can offset the cost of his bad practices.
Cut off the bastard's funding, and he goes out of business and his animals spared further abuse.
Arrest him for animal cruelty if possible.