The 12th Invest in ME Research Conference June, 2017, Part 2
MEMum presents the second article in a series of three about the recent 12th Invest In ME International Conference (IIMEC12) in London.
Discuss the article on the Forums.

European Laboratory of Nutrients directors arrested for insurance fraud

Discussion in 'Diagnostic Guidelines and Laboratory Testing' started by Valentijn, Apr 17, 2014.

1. Valentijn

Valentijn The Diabolic Logic

http://www.dutchnews.nl/news/archives/2014/04/alternative_medicine_testing_l.php

Full text at the link, in English.

Regardless of legality, the Dutch system sucks for investigating problems and causes in ME/CFS symptoms, making "alternative" labs highly necessary. Also note that "homeopathy" is used in a MUCH broader context in the Netherlands, and basically refers to naturopathy.

2. WillowJ

WillowJ คภภเє ɠรค๓թєl

WA, USA
    I'm confused about the charges: It's not considered the insurance company's responsibility to decide whether something submitted is appropriate or not?

They merely object to the sheer number of tests or they think the tests do not correlate to actual patients? Because it looked like the former. The latter would obviously be fraud.

I've not heard of charges for phantom patients/clinics given other charges besides fraud when it happens in the US by fraudulent traditional providers.

3. Valentijn

Valentijn The Diabolic Logic

No idea really. I think the government has just recently started to require that insurers make sure the payouts are appropriate. But not all of them do it, so I'm not sure how required it is.

The problem isn't the number of tests, so much as the testing being requested by non-doctor therapists (or doctors not in the mainstream system?). I think the number of tests just caused them to look into it further.

See more popular forum discussions.