• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Europe: Help Mike with his 28 EU marathons for IiME get sponsorship, press/media contacts

Sasha

Fine, thank you
#MEAction said:
MIKE’S EU MARATHONS: RAISING MYALGIC ENCEPHALOMYELITIS AWARENESS ACROSS EUROPE
prague-finish-440x440.jpg

28 MARATHONS FOR MYALGIC ENCEPHALOMYELITIS AWARENESS AND RESEARCH

I’ll be running a marathon in each of the 28 EU member countries to raise awareness and much needed funds for biomedical research into ME & for the charity Invest In ME

I’m aiming to raise funds and awareness for biomedical ME research across the 28 countries within the European Union by running a marathon in each. I’ve now completed 2 of my marathons; UK (April 22, 2001) and Czech Republic (March 5, 2015) Next up is Helsinki, Finland on August 15th!

One of my best friends has had ME for 8 years and been unable to work or lead a normal life, this is the only way I feel I can help him and the other 250,000 sufferers in the UK. I’m working with Invest In ME (www.investinme.org) to unite European ME sufferers and associations to raise the profile of research projects. I aim to run 4-5 marathons a year and am aiming to finish the challenge by 2020.

In 2014 with a group of friends, I took part in a very different challenge for the charity (92 football grounds in 92 hrs) managing to reach over 10 million people (through TV, Press and the football community) and raising nearly £5K for the Rituximab trial. Throughout this project I met and talked to ME sufferers and their families which has had a very profound effect on my decision to attempt this challenge.

I’m looking for sponsorship for races and travel/flight costs as well as press/media contacts in the countries I’m visiting. If you know anyone who can help please get in touch!

What a great initiative! :):thumbsup:

Take a look at the live links here:

http://www.meaction.net/2015/06/03/...eness-across-europe-mikes-marathon-challenge/

Sasha

Fine, thank you
Here's Mike's JustGiving page:

https://www.justgiving.com/mikeseumarathons/

He doesn't sound a natural for this:

Mike on JustGiving said:
I'm not a natural runner, I'm short and a bit out of shape, I've also partially torn my right cruciate and been advised not to do any long distance running by my NHS physio! I did London in 2001 and I'm not doing that one again, so 2015 will see me tackle 3 more before a further 5 in 2016.

Don't hurt yourself, Mike! Just walk round, or something! :eek:

*GG*

Hopefully someone can keep us updated on the posting in newspapers etc.. So we can share this on social media!

GG