• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

EU Referendum: what it means for ME (+ a poll)

Should the UK leave or remain in the EU?

• The UK should remain in the EU

Votes: 29 56.9%
  • The UK should leave the EU

Votes: 17 33.3%
  • Don't know

Votes: 4 7.8%
  • Don't care

Votes: 1 2.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Hip

The UK benefits system has become very demeaning and abusive for genuine claimants who may have contributed thousands to it and has been well documented in the Blacktriangle website (3).

I think the answer to this lies with the new basic income for everyone concept being pioneered in the Netherlands:

Dutch city plans to pay citizens a ‘basic income’, and Greens say it could work in the UK

The idea is that everyone in the country, working or not working, gets paid a basic income amount every month, roughly the same amount as the dole (social security income) pays at the moment. That actually makes things very simple, because you can then close down all or most of the dole offices that assess people, because everyone gets the dole.

lansbergen

I think the answer to this lies with the new basic income for everyone concept being pioneered in the Netherlands:

Dutch city plans to pay citizens a ‘basic income’, and Greens say it could work in the UK

The idea is that everyone in the country, working or not working, gets paid a basic income amount every month, roughly the same amount as the dole (social security income) pays at the moment. That actually makes things very simple, because you can then close down all or most of the dole offices that assess people, because everyone gets the dole.

Ridiculous. I thought this was wipe of the table.

Aurator

We need people to realise that 'growth' is a con. Material wealth in the future will be having fewer buildings to obscure the view, fewer cars polluting the atmosphere, fewer lights polluting the night sky, more space to breath and enjoy the natural world. And having science done by the few people who are actually interested in solving problems, rather than building empires.
That should be written in a much bigger font and posted up in public places everywhere.

I've been saying almost the same thing about "growth" for a long time. There is an orthodoxy, followed seemingly unquestioningly by a large majority of people, on what growth means, and a conviction that this kind of growth is the one true road to fulfilment and a higher quality of life. What these people don't see is the scale and permanence of the loss that comes with their favoured kind of growth. If you dare to suggest there are other kinds of growth that make for far more rational and worthwhile goals you're written off as a crank.

Just a tiny bit more wisdom shared among the more influential members of the human race would have done it; as things stand, I fear we're doomed.

Undisclosed

Can I point out here that we only allow political discussions on Phoenix Rising related to ME. So please respect that rule on this thread by discussing the 'EU Referendum -- what it means to ME.'

Thank you

Shouldn't have to ask twice, therefore thread is now closed permanently.

Status
Not open for further replies.