1. Patients launch $1.27 million crowdfunding campaign for ME/CFS gut microbiome study.
    Check out the website, Facebook and Twitter. Join in donate and spread the word!
9th Invest in ME International ME Conference, 2014 - Part 2: Pathogens and the Gut
Mark Berry continues his series of articles on the 9th Invest in ME International ME Conference in London, with the emphasis shifting from autoimmunity to pathogens and the gut ...
Discuss the article on the Forums.

estriol the reason pregnancy improves symptoms

Discussion in 'General Treatment' started by leaves, Apr 23, 2011.

1. leaves

leaves Senior Member

Estriol, a type of estrogen, is made in the womb of the pregnant woman. It modulates the immune system as to not attack the 'foreign body'. it is helpful in ms (but only the relapsing kind) People with ms also tend to do better during pregnancy. It can be obtained from a compounding pharmacy.
    I find this story much more plausible than the blood quantity/pressure explanation.

2. Sallysblooms

Sallysblooms P.O.T.S. now SO MUCH BETTER!

Southern USA
    That is one of the three estrogens in my Tri-est compounded gel I use twice a day. I take progesterone and testosterone in gel also. I get my hormones checked twice a year. Balancing hormones is the first thing to do. The Dzugan program I am on does this and the first thing I noticed was that the migraines I had for 18 years were gone. Hormones are important for so many reasons. I take five hormones including Thyroid.

3. Jenny

Jenny Senior Member

London
    Hi leaves

I'm a bit sceptical about this, as my ME began during pregnancy, and it seems that one of the reasons some people's ME is triggered by or gets worse during pregnancy may be that the immune system is downregulated so that it fails to deal with the precipitating infection.

Jenny

4. lizw118

lizw118 Senior Member

It seems like it can go either way for people with certain hormones. Estriol helps me a lot but progesterone is like poison to me. Progesterone is also extremely high in the third trimester of pregnancy. Plus, the shifting of the hormone levels themselves might trigger stuff, who knows??

5. leaves

leaves Senior Member

Hmm I guess .. As always ... It ain't so simple

6. lizw118

lizw118 Senior Member

Not simple but definitely worth more investigation!

See more popular forum discussions.