Phoenix Rising: The Gift That Keeps on Giving All Year Long
This holiday season Jody Smith turns her eyes to the people of Phoenix Rising and gives thanks for you all ...
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Esther Crawley - talk 17th Nov Mood disorders Centre, Exeter Uni

Discussion in 'General ME/CFS News' started by slysaint, Oct 13, 2017.

1. halcyon

halcyon Senior Member

I have not been able to determine what she actually believes about this disease. All of the research of hers that I've been able to stomach looking at seems purely pragmatic. If anyone can find any discussion of theory in any of her research or talks I'd love to see it.

MEMum, Peter Trewhitt and Countrygirl like this.
  2. Peter Trewhitt

Peter Trewhitt

I agree that her published research, that I have read, focuses on clinical practice rather than any theoretical underpinning, however she has discussed this in interviews with the press. I read her clearly stating that 'CFS' is a biomedical condition that her approaches cured earlier this year. She specifically referred to psycho/behaviour intervention causing neurophysiological changes. However at present I am struggling to remember which round of the PR machine it came in. It was earlier than SMILE publicity. I am not good at remembering time frames, but will comment further when I rember more concrete details.

MEMum, Molly98, johnnydme and 3 others like this.
  3. HowToEscape?

HowToEscape? Senior Member

I hope I'm not meandering off topic, but if she states that CFS and ME are the same AND that 2% of the population are affected, it is obfuscation. We're at most 0.5% of the population, and considerably less at ages under 21 Unless there's a pragmatic goal behind said obfuscation, such as personal wealth, reputation and career enhancement.
    --- I did not read ... or at least did not comprehend the whole thread, so ... ignore if this is left field.

MEMum, johnnydme and boombachi like this.
  4. Peter Trewhitt

Peter Trewhitt

Crawley seems to confine her theories about the nature of ME to the popular press rather than scientific forums and I have been trying to remember where the most information is available. I have found the following but think there was in the last year or so a newspaper article with more detail on her 'beliefs' about the nature of ME/CFS, so if any one has a more reliable memory than me do let me know where it was:

Last edited: Nov 29, 2017
    MEMum and Countrygirl like this.

See more popular forum discussions.