• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Esther Crawley Paediatric Prevalence Study Funded by Action for ME

Yogi

I didn't want to be the first to say it, mainly because I have no knowledge of the matter, but the way AfME is behaving makes it look like a front for the BPS crowd. Labelling reasonable critics as "vexatious", or "defamatory" in this case, refusing to debate anything they don't agree with, all classic BPS techniques. And how on earth anyone who is supposed to care about PWME could even consider working with Esther Crawley ...

I have always said that AFME (and AYME) are just a front for various vested interests. Why they do this and whether their management get any corrupt payments that are not being disclosed - only time will tell.

Yogi

How do AfME /AYME continue to garner support from the ME/cfs community?

I don't think they have much real support from ME people. For a newbie the AFME and AYME websites look more professional and slicker than some other charities who are focused on important things like research so some are attracted to them. They have also widened their remit to "chronic fatigue" or Tired All The Time so that brings in more £££££ $$$$. From observations of their fundraisers I see that they tend to have a lot of (in my opinion naive) young girls in their teens and twenties. It must be remembered AFME and AYME members cannot vote out the management as they have no voting rights like most charities.

Yogi

We actively encourage and accept donations from a wider number of sources, including individuals and companies. The £6,000 with which Action for M.E. is funding this study was contributed by a private corporate donor with a specific interest in seeing the alleviation of childhood suffering. This sum has been match-funded by University of Bristol

I have long held the view that AFME are operating as a front group for various vested interest who seek to keep ME under-researched and maintain the status quo as a (bio)psychosocial illness. I have long held the view they are a charity front and give a veneer of respectability as a registered charity to the vested interests.

Some might point out some of the good work that AFME do regarding very generalist issues etc (fake lobbying, welfare benefits, fundraising) which they cannot as a small charity have any impact and gives the impression and illusion to naive people that they are helping people with ME and doing something. However they are not on our side on important ME issues like PACE (who AFME made possible), SMILE, and have given the licence for the BPS school to do what they have done.

Thankfully AFME are now proving this very fact by laundering money from "an anonomyous donor" to give to Bristol uni.

1. Why would AFME allow itself to be used as money laundering operation for the donor?
2. Why can the anonymous donation not be given direct to Bristol uni?
3. Why is this being hidden and why are AFME not being transparent?
4. How can we be sure the anonymous donor is not the DWP, insurance companies such as Unum, psychological practitioners such as Trudy Chalder's The British Association for Behavioural and Cognitive Psychotherapies (BABCP)?
5. Are charities allowed by Charity Commission to pass money through their accounts from the anonomyous donor to Bristol Uni?

This should be of concern to all members of AFME and ME community and society in general.

If anyone is in doubt about vested interests using charitable type organisations to improve their image and work against society see three very recent examples.

BP and museums
Coca-Cola and European Hydration Institute (EHI)
Chemical Co's and "Citizens for fire safety"

British Petroleum funding various museums to "greenwash" themselves

"BP’s actions around the world, from displacing frontline communities and colluding with regimes with horrendous human rights records, to investment in tar sands and mass pollution, mark them out as a key player in human rights abuses and environmental destruction.

Yet BP is able to rely on the good reputations of our cultural institutions to curry favour and present an acceptable face to the public, while at the same time continuing to lobby against environmental protections and action on climate change. This greenwash must not continue."

https://www.opendemocracy.net/uk/alys-mumford/why-bp-has-no-place-in-our-arts

Coca-cola setting up charitable body to counter claim that sugary fizzy drinks make you fat

"Coca-Cola has spent millions of pounds on healthy-eating initiatives and research to counter claims that its fizzy drinks can cause obesity, it has been claimed.
The drinks company, a major sponsor of the Olympics, the Fifa World Cup and the Rugby World Cup, is said to have financial links to more than a dozen British scientists, including government health advisers, who cast doubt on link between sugary drinks and obesity.
It spent £4.86 million setting up the European Hydration Institute (EHI) — a research foundation promoting hydration - which has recommended that people consume sports and soft drinks, according to The Times.
The newspaper claimed that Ron Maughan, chairman of the EHI's scientific advisory board, was an emeritus professor of sport science at Loughborough University, which received almost £1 million from Coca-Cola while he provided nutritional advice to leading sports bodies."

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/...rove-that-fizzy-drinks-dont-make-you-fat.html

https://www.rt.com/uk/318126-coca-cola-obesity-sugar/

Chemical companies producing dangerous and toxic fire retardant exposed in Chicago Tribune expose of their Front group "Citizens for Fire Safety

http://www.prwatch.org/news/2012/09/11749/citizens-fire-safety-smoked-out-front-group-folds-after-exposé

http://media.apps.chicagotribune.com/flames/index.html

"In 2007, the three biggest flame retardant chemical manufacturers, Albemarle, Chemtura, and ICL Industrial Products, founded the Citizens for Fire Safety (CFFS).

The three companies, which control 40 percent of the world's market for flame retardant chemicals, were the group's only members and funders. But it didn't call itself a trade group. It misleadingly labeled itself "a coalition of fire professionals, educators, community activists, burn centers, doctors, fire departments and industry leaders, united to ensure that our country is protected by the highest standards of fire safety."

The group claimed it "had joined with the international firefighters' association, the American Burn Association and a key federal agency 'to conduct ongoing studies to ensure safe and effective fire prevention.' Both of those organizations and the federal agency, however, said that simply is not true. 'They are lying,' Jeff Zack, a spokesman for the International Association of Fire Fighters (IAFF), told the Tribune. 'They aren't working with us on anything.'" Other deceptive techniques include hiring expert witnesses to mislead lawmakers.

Last edited:

Chrisb

Surely it cannot be so. .....but it would explain a lot.

One would have thought that they would have had sufficient foresight to realise that after GETSET there is only one word to be said.

Inara

Standard Operating Procedure of the British Establishment, well and of course, almost any Human "power structure",
[...]
over the centuries the British Establishment has calcified mentally (to the great endangerment of the country), and worked out a set of methods for dealing with "non-conformists"

Also as I've said before, AfME is likely to have been a target of another part of the British Establishment's methods for silencing criticism and issues:
they infiltrate and take over protest groups, both by direct misuse and abuse of security and police services,
and primarily by the "old school tie" leaning on people telling them which line to toe, getting only the "right people" put in charge of charities etc
[...]
UK, in a way, is a run like a bizarre mirror image of the Soviet system post Stalin

It's not only the British Establishment though, it's a mechanism worldwide which we should understand in order to be successful.

Many NGOs - even those "nice" ones, like Human Rights Watch etc. - are known not only to do charitable things (which they often do), but to work for a political agenda and/or ideology, which led e.g. to regime changes, revolts or coups.

Thanks for this very important thread. I know it's over a 1 yead old, but I came here via the Unrest-Thread which is actual.

If I were a member of AfME I'd quit at once.

Inara

@slysaint
Thanks a lot!

I now think AfME and everything that goes with it must be funded from the same interests/people who are behind Wessely&Co. and who want ME (and other illnesses) to be psychological. Of course, it's just a feeling based on this information.

I don't understand why other ME organisations would want to cooperate with them, unless this information is unknown to them, they're naïve or they're all in this together. Oh man :(