The power and pitfalls of omics part 2: epigenomics, transcriptomics and ME/CFS
Simon McGrath concludes his blog about the remarkable Prof George Davey Smith's smart ideas for understanding diseases, which may soon be applied to ME/CFS.
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Esther Crawley blog (February 3): "Doing what is right in a controversial field"

Discussion in 'General ME/CFS News' started by Dolphin, Feb 12, 2017.

1. Jo Best

Jo Best Senior Member

2. TiredSam

TiredSam The wise nematode hibernates

Germany
    If I may liken the NHS to the BBC, Esther Crawley is the equivalent of a radio 1 DJ in the 1970s, abusing as many young people as she likes, completely unaccountable, while everyone who knows about it or should know about it turns a blind eye because it suits them.

The same goes for the whole Wessely school. Decades later, when so many people have been classified as suffering from MUS that it reaches a tipping point, suddenly society can be shocked and horrified and wonder how it was ever allowed to happen. I get the feeling that ME patients were just the dry run, they won't be happy until they've abused every last person who visits the doctor with a headache.

MEMum, sue la-la, Boronia and 14 others like this.
  3. Barry53

Barry53 Senior Member

UK
    upload_2017-2-13_23-23-41.png

Now then, I ask you, how could anyone possibly imagine the pictured subject stands for anything but the truth, the whole truth, and nothing but the truth. And that the headline words, the picture, and even the pose, are simply happenstance, and could not possibly have been artfully chosen to achieve a desired psychological impact. If you did not know better you might think it was advertiser's guile.

MEMum, sue la-la, Boronia and 12 others like this.
  4. rosamary

rosamary Senior Member

She's a case isn't she? And I do wish she'd stop moaning about what a horrid time she has because of all those mean old patients who keep trying to stop her from practicing quackery.

"Doing what is right in a controversial field"

Really? Does she seriously think that she has some kind of supernatural power?

Of course parents of sick children want someone to cure their children. They are desperate.

And I am so relieved that there are people out there now who are beginning to make some progress in this field and feel certain that they will contribute to the discovery of real cures for children and adults with the diagnoses of ME and CFS.

Leave, Esther. Go to Norway maybe? Or the USA? Branch out a little.

MEMum, Boronia, CarolB and 5 others like this.
  5. Jonathan Edwards

Jonathan Edwards "Gibberish"

I guess that posts on PR tend to slip along the grapevine so let me say this:

Dear Esther,
    It is time you realised just how much a fool you are making of yourself. You once did some good immunology. You are now peddling the worst soft science. The objections are not from a small number of luddites. They are from serious scientists like me. I am not sure who you are trying to persuade with this blog but I am afraid embarrassing self-righteousness is what comes through.

Best wishes

Jo

MEMum, sue la-la, meg22 and 53 others like this.
  6. TiredSam

TiredSam The wise nematode hibernates

Germany
    Think her pic needs updating:

rik.jpg

MEMum, KME, 2kidswithME and 20 others like this.
  7. Keith Geraghty

Keith Geraghty Senior Member

Prof Chew-Graham - has chaired a report for the NHS on services for MUS and CFS

that even includes a focus on a patients spiritual well-being (see image)

the report is an amazing example of group-think and confirmation bias - see the reference list for the usual suspects
    (by the way Prof Chew-Graham was co-investigator on the FINE trial so if she just followed her own trial results that CBT and GET do nothing for patients with MUS/CFS at 70 weeks, perhaps her report might of included some literature on actual science in ME/CFS - not just dogma and rhetoric passed off as science

p.s. Esther - please start respecting patients and critics - science only works through critique

In her photo she is looking up - perhaps following the recent Commission Report she is callin on God to help patients with ME/CFS, I know I do.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Feb 13, 2017
    MEMum, AndyPR, Jan and 10 others like this.
  8. Forbin

Forbin Senior Member

Well, I ran across this additional photo... Oh, wait. It's Joan of Arc.
    Sorry.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 13, 2017
    soofke, MEMum, JaimeS and 27 others like this.
  9. slysaint

slysaint Senior Member

give it a few years EC
    [​IMG]

MEMum, sue la-la, Boronia and 17 others like this.
  10. Molly98

Molly98 Senior Member

I couldn't agree more @TiredSam

MEMum, Boronia, Jan and 5 others like this.
  11. Countrygirl

Countrygirl Senior Member

UK
    Someone ought to send the image to the Pope as St Esther appears to have seen a vision of the Virgin Mary............or would a damehood be preferred ?............ probably both. Child abuse, after all, has always been accepted as an activity that enables entry into the hallowed halls of the Establishment.

Last edited: Feb 14, 2017
    MEMum, Boronia, Jan and 5 others like this.
  12. Sidereal

Sidereal Senior Member

Dame St Esther protecting the poor children against evil ME extremists again I see. :vomit:

MEMum, JaimeS, Boronia and 4 others like this.
  13. Molly98

Molly98 Senior Member

I wonder if she will finally get burnt at the stake and martyred in the ultimate act of self sacrifice like Joan of Arch.

14. BurnA

BurnA Senior Member

ME too.
    I think these parallels need to be stated everytime there is a discussion on CBT and GET. Wessely, Sharpe, Crawley, Chalder and White should go hand in hand with Savile.

MEMum, Boronia, Jan and 3 others like this.
  15. BurnA

BurnA Senior Member

Is this a new ploy, equating CBT / QUACK THERAPY objectors to vaccine objectors. ?

MEMum, JaimeS, sue la-la and 4 others like this.
  16. Jo Best

Jo Best Senior Member

17. Esther12

Esther12 Senior Member

Being going on for a while now. A sustained tactic though.

MEMum, JaimeS, sue la-la and 4 others like this.
  18. Aurator

Aurator Senior Member

"Children need to know that their treatments are effective and the NHS needs to know that these treatments are also cost-effective."

This isn't the first time I've seen this unhappy juxtaposition of two not necessarily reconcilable imperatives. The irreconcilability is on the surface for all to see, and possibly a fair few parents of children with ME see the potential conflict there. Probably far fewer parents figure out the subtext underlying "children need to know" and see that what is really meant is "children need to be made to believe".

MEMum, Boronia, Jan and 6 others like this.
  19. A.B.

A.B. Senior Member

In case Crawley reads this forum.

Esther, how about you simply admit to have made mistakes and change course? Distinguish yourself from your colleagues by putting patients first and good science second. That would actually earn you some respect.

Good science doesn't include any cognitive-behavioural approaches. If one can look past the spin, it is embarassingly obvious that these don't work and are simply bad science. The improvements that you're seeing are a mix of confirmation bias, altered questionnaire answering behaviour secondary to social factors, remission due to natural history, and misdiagnosis.

MEMum, JaimeS, sue la-la and 13 others like this.
  20. BurnA

BurnA Senior Member

I'd say she might have....but i doubt she still is if she read @Jonathan Edwards post :)

MEMum, Jan, Webdog and 5 others like this.

See more popular forum discussions.