Phoenix Rising: The Gift That Keeps on Giving All Year Long
This holiday season Jody Smith turns her eyes to the people of Phoenix Rising and gives thanks for you all ...
Discuss the article on the Forums.
  1. PeterPositive

PeterPositive Senior Member

Hello,
    I am trying to up my current dose of oral vit C but I kind of stumbled upon a limit of ~2g of ascorbic acid, if I take more of the same my stomach hurts.

I have tried adding a capsule of Ester C (600mg) without side effects so I was thinking of gradually adding a couple more of these 600mg caps to reach 4g/day. At least for some time.

Then I stumbled on this article: http://vitamincfoundation.org/esterc.htm
    but I don't know what to think about it.

Am I understanding it correctly that Ester C is essentially calcium ascorbate? The product I am using (by SuperSmart) doesn't declare it and it doesn't specify the amount of calcium per capsule. Weird.

Thanks

2. adreno

adreno PR activist

Ester C is just calcium ascorbate, nothing special about it. I use powdered sodium ascorbate.

PeterPositive likes this.
  3. Helen

Helen Senior Member

Hi Peter,

A kind of vitamin C that is kind to the stomach is sodium ascorbate. I never had any problems with it and heard from many that after changing to this kind the stomach has been OK. Here it comes as a powder that you mix with water. Cheap and simple to use. Maybe that could work for you? BTW I miss the cat with glasses...

4. PeterPositive

Thanks, will give the sodium ascorbate a try if Ester C doesn't work for me.

Eheh, too many cats in this forum. Thought a bear might add a bit of variety. This is not just a bear this is Fozzie the bear :D

JAM likes this.
  5. PeterPositive

It seems that the fancy trademark makes it way more expensive though :)
    Next time I'll buy the powder.

adreno likes this.
  6. Helen

Helen Senior Member

Agree, there are many :). Sorry, I don´t know him. I guess I should...I think he looks pretty scared but tries to make up his face with a smile, or is he drunk?

7. PeterPositive

It's a funny character from the Muppets Show, a little crazy but not drunk :)

Helen likes this.
  8. JAM

JAM Jill

PeterPositive likes this.
  9. Tunguska

Tunguska Senior Member

I tried Ester C but nothing specifically good came of it and it's part of a collection of 3 supplements that gave me problems (gave up trying to isolate). I also read that article and wonder about the processing creating metabolites (threonic acid? since magnesium threonate also was weird for me). I don't know but not worth finishing the bottle to find out.

I believe time-release arscorbic acid (non-pure, other things in it) has worked most consistent so far, but haven't tried liposomal, for reasons. I can't tell a difference between pure ascorbic acid and sodium ascorbate ignoring dosage beyond gut discomfort but they work too. Those ones I'll finish.

See more popular forum discussions.