Choline on the Brain? A Guide to Choline in Chronic Fatigue Syndrome
http://phoenixrising.me/research-2/the-brain-in-chronic-fatigue-syndrome-mecfs/choline-on-the-brain-a-guide-to-choline-in-chronic-fatigue-syndrome-by-cort-johnson-aug-2005
Discuss the article on the Forums.
  1. PeterPositive

PeterPositive Senior Member

Hello,
    I am trying to up my current dose of oral vit C but I kind of stumbled upon a limit of ~2g of ascorbic acid, if I take more of the same my stomach hurts.

I have tried adding a capsule of Ester C (600mg) without side effects so I was thinking of gradually adding a couple more of these 600mg caps to reach 4g/day. At least for some time.

Then I stumbled on this article: http://vitamincfoundation.org/esterc.htm
    but I don't know what to think about it.

Am I understanding it correctly that Ester C is essentially calcium ascorbate? The product I am using (by SuperSmart) doesn't declare it and it doesn't specify the amount of calcium per capsule. Weird.

Thanks

2. adreno

adreno PR activist

Ester C is just calcium ascorbate, nothing special about it. I use powdered sodium ascorbate.

PeterPositive likes this.
  3. Helen

Helen Senior Member

Hi Peter,

A kind of vitamin C that is kind to the stomach is sodium ascorbate. I never had any problems with it and heard from many that after changing to this kind the stomach has been OK. Here it comes as a powder that you mix with water. Cheap and simple to use. Maybe that could work for you? BTW I miss the cat with glasses...

4. PeterPositive

Thanks, will give the sodium ascorbate a try if Ester C doesn't work for me.

Eheh, too many cats in this forum. Thought a bear might add a bit of variety. This is not just a bear this is Fozzie the bear :D

JAM likes this.
  5. PeterPositive

It seems that the fancy trademark makes it way more expensive though :)
    Next time I'll buy the powder.

adreno likes this.
  6. Helen

Helen Senior Member

Agree, there are many :). Sorry, I don´t know him. I guess I should...I think he looks pretty scared but tries to make up his face with a smile, or is he drunk?

7. PeterPositive

It's a funny character from the Muppets Show, a little crazy but not drunk :)

Helen likes this.
  8. JAM

JAM Jill

PeterPositive likes this.
  9. Tunguska

Tunguska Senior Member

I tried Ester C but nothing specifically good came of it and it's part of a collection of 3 supplements that gave me problems (gave up trying to isolate). I also read that article and wonder about the processing creating metabolites (threonic acid? since magnesium threonate also was weird for me). I don't know but not worth finishing the bottle to find out.

I believe time-release arscorbic acid (non-pure, other things in it) has worked most consistent so far, but haven't tried liposomal, for reasons. I can't tell a difference between pure ascorbic acid and sodium ascorbate ignoring dosage beyond gut discomfort but they work too. Those ones I'll finish.

See more popular forum discussions.