Julie Rehmeyer's 'Through the Shadowlands'
Writer Never Give Up talks about Julie Rehmeyer's new book "Through the Shadowlands: A Science Writer's Odyssey into an Illness Science Doesn't Understand" and shares an interview with Julie ...
Discuss the article on the Forums.

ESR Before and After ME/CFS diagnosis

Discussion in 'General Symptoms' started by bmoney$, Oct 6, 2015.

1. bmoney$

bmoney$

I'm interested to know if anyone had their ESR measured at any point before showing ME/CFS-like symptoms and how did it compare to a measurement after the fact?

This study indicates (to my very untrained eye) that a fair proportion of the measured male population measured at low (<5mm/hr) ESR values.

Could it be that the ones here with low ESR's had it before onset and it perhaps signals a factor that predisposes one to coming down with ME/CFS in the future?

Found it interesting and wanted to share and get the insights of people smarter than me :)

Study: http://aje.oxfordjournals.org/content/158/9/844.full.pdf html

2. Valentijn

Valentijn The Diabolic Logic

My ESR has been consistently elevated since diagnosis. I don't think it was tested before diagnosis.

3. Thinktank

Thinktank Senior Member

Europe + Asia
    Mine was around 5 or lower before my health deteriorated.
    For the past years my ESR has always been <1, max. 2. The same goes for CRP which is almost nil while serum cytokines incl. IL-6 are elevated. Go figure.

See more popular forum discussions.