Invest in ME Conference 12: First Class in Every Way
OverTheHills wraps up our series of articles on this year's 12th Invest in ME International Conference (IIMEC12) in London with some reflections on her experience as a patient attending the conference for the first time.
Discuss the article on the Forums.

ESR Before and After ME/CFS diagnosis

Discussion in 'General Symptoms' started by bmoney$, Oct 6, 2015.

1. bmoney$

bmoney$

I'm interested to know if anyone had their ESR measured at any point before showing ME/CFS-like symptoms and how did it compare to a measurement after the fact?

This study indicates (to my very untrained eye) that a fair proportion of the measured male population measured at low (<5mm/hr) ESR values.

Could it be that the ones here with low ESR's had it before onset and it perhaps signals a factor that predisposes one to coming down with ME/CFS in the future?

Found it interesting and wanted to share and get the insights of people smarter than me :)

Study: http://aje.oxfordjournals.org/content/158/9/844.full.pdf html

2. Valentijn

Valentijn Senior Member

My ESR has been consistently elevated since diagnosis. I don't think it was tested before diagnosis.

3. Thinktank

Thinktank Senior Member

Europe + Asia
    Mine was around 5 or lower before my health deteriorated.
    For the past years my ESR has always been <1, max. 2. The same goes for CRP which is almost nil while serum cytokines incl. IL-6 are elevated. Go figure.

See more popular forum discussions.