1. Patients launch $1.27 million crowdfunding campaign for ME/CFS gut microbiome study.
    Check out the website, Facebook and Twitter. Join in donate and spread the word!
Can You Come for a Visit? My ME/CFS Says No
My daughter and son-in-law just had a baby last week. We are thrilled. But we won't be able to see the baby or hold her any time soon. We won't be able to take over little gifts or help out with housework or babysitting.
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Esophageal Spasms/Acid Reflux/GERD

Discussion in 'The Gut: De Meirleir & Maes; H2S; Leaky Gut' started by Lotus97, Jun 29, 2014.

1. Lotus97

Lotus97 Senior Member

United States
    I've been having symptoms for the past few months that seem to be some sort of acid reflux/GERD and esophageal spasms.

The main symptom is pressure in the back of my throat like something is stuck there, but it gets worse if I don't do anything to stop it. Chewing fennel seeds generally stops the symptoms, but they're not getting any better.

The symptoms are mainly caused by sour things, garlic, and swallowing pills.

I had these symptoms a few years ago and had to stop SSRIs because that seemed to be the main cause. I'd like to avoid doing this again because I've been having a lot of problems with depression over the past year and a half.

I've stopped taking LDN (low dose naltrexone) because I read this can cause these symptoms. I was also taking serrapeptase (aka Serrazimes or Serratiopeptidase) which I've stopped because I've read that it can also cause stomach irritation. I'm taking DGL which does seem to provide temporary relief, but so far hasn't done much to prevent the symptoms.
  2. Helen

Helen Senior Member

Sweden
    Couldn´t these symptoms be caused by your Lyme disease too? I should check cranial nerves
    Lotus97 likes this.
  3. ahmo

ahmo Senior Member

Northcoast NSW, Australia
    @Lotus97 I came across this GERD reference yesterday when doing some research re sulfur. From Amy Yasko's free ebook:
    Lotus97 likes this.
  4. perchance dreamer

perchance dreamer Senior Member

I've had reflux, too, along with other digestive symptoms. It sounds like you don't have those, but I'll mention what's helped me with reflux.

I'm 56, and I've read that by the age of 40 or so, many people produce fewer digestive enzymes and less of the stomach acid needed for good digestion.

So I started using digestive enzymes with HCL. That helped, but did not fully take care of the reflux. So I added Pure Encapsulations DGL Plus, which in addition to DGL has aloe vera, slippery elm, and marshmallow.

That helped further, but I was still having some reflux. So I added a probiotic for digestive problems, Ultimate Flora Senior Formula.

I also added one cap of Jarrow D-Limonene at night. If you google limonene and reflux or limonene and gerd, lots of information comes up.

I've gotten much better since the 4 nights of the limonene I've taken so far. Amazon and iHerb both carry Jarrow D-Limonene and have customer reviews.

It's also helped my sleep, which is a nice bonus I didn't expect. It activates adenosine. However, I read all the reviews on AZ and iHerb, and only 2 or 3 people mentioned the sleep help, so it might not be a common effect.

I drink plenty of water with limonene to get it as far down as possible. From what I've read, it can be uncomfortable if you take it with too little water.

If you can't get the reflux under control on your own, I'd see a doctor. It can lead to some serious conditions if it goes on too long.
    Hanna and Lotus97 like this.
  5. perchance dreamer

I forgot to add that with reflux you are supposed to refrain from lying down for at least 2 hours after eating.

Also, I'm taking glutamine powder in the morning. It is supposed to help heal the gut lining. There's been some discussion on PR about glutamine and how certain people should avoid it, but I have just kind of ignored it. There's so much great information here, but it can be a little overwhelming for me.
  6. JAH

JAH Senior Member

San Jose
    Helen, how should someone check cranial nerves? I'm having many of these same problems...thanks, JAH
  7. daisybell

daisybell Senior Member

New Zealand
    The sensation of globus is nearly always due to GERD I think. I get symptoms periodically, and take a proton pump inhibitor for usually somewhere between 2 and 3 weeks. I find that it long enough to give me a number of months without symptoms. I don't think that these meds have too many side effects so I feel happy to take them as needed.
  8. Helen

Helen Senior Member

Sweden
    Jah, if you google cranial nerves you will find facts about their function/innervation. Also "cranial nerves +examination" might be useful. Hope you will find explanations to some of your problems.
    JAH likes this.
  9. Lotus97

Lotus97 Senior Member

United States
    Thanks. Does that have something to do with glutamine possibly converted into glutamate?
  10. perchance dreamer

Hi, Lotus, yes, the conversion to glutamate does sound familiar. I seem to do okay with glutamine. I was afraid it would make my insomnia worse since it can be stimulating for some people, but it doesn't affect my sleep one way or the other. I do take it in the morning, just in case.

See more popular forum discussions.