• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

ESA tribunal..

I was put in a work related activity group in march this year and i appealed to go into the support group..in june this year i got a letter from the DWP to say they had revised their decision and was being placed in the support group..last week i got a letter from the courts of tribunal with a date set for the 20th of this month..my question is should i still go to this hearing when all i was appealing about was to be put in the support group in the first place..or if i dont go could they rule against me and stop my benifits...i honestly dont know what to do...any sugestions ..many thanks...john.. :)

Sasha

Fine, thank you
Hi John - congratulations about being placed (I think!) in the support group. It sounds as though DWP has maybe failed to inform the tribunal service that they've revised their decision but the sequence of events seems out of order - I was placed in the WRAG, asked for the decision to be reconsidered, it was and they stuck with their original decision, I put in an appeal, my appeal was rejected and only at that point was I sent a letter from the tribunal service asking whether I wanted to attend a tribunal or do it via paper. I don't understand how you've skipped these steps and got a tribunal.

I would phone the tribunal service on Monday and ask what's going on. Make a note of the name of the person you talk to and ask them to confirm what they say in writing. Once you've had that conversation, I'd also write to them confirming the content - a 'Dear Sir/Madam, I'd like to confirm the content of a phone conversation I had with Mr/Ms X at your office on 12 Nov 2012 in which I was told that... etc.'

I hope I've understood your situation - it sounds bizarre and that makes me wonder if I've properly understood it.

If you struggle with this sort of thing and don't think you're in a fit state to tackle it, phone/write to your local CAB and ask for help. Many CABs are now impossible to reach by phone - I wrote to mine and explained I was housebound and couldn't come in and they phoned me immediately.

Good luck!