1. Patients launch a $1.27 million crowdfunding campaign for ME/CFS gut microbiome study.
    Check out the website, Facebook and Twitter. Join in donate and spread the word!
ME/CFS and Beating the Clock
For Jody Smith, the ticking of a clock was enough at one time to chase her back to her bed. But with the passage of time, she has been able to reclaim her living room ...
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Epstein–Barr virus infection induce chronic fatigue syndrome

Discussion in 'Latest ME/CFS Research' started by heapsreal, Aug 31, 2012.

1. Jacque

Jacque Senior Member

USA - California
    Well you sound like my brother? sister? I am identical to everything you wrote!! My spine is exactly that ...esp my neck...it just burns and burns in occipital area...which some times leads to headaches/migraines... I would literally OFF myself without pain medication...it is the ONLY relief I get and it only lasts about 2 hours... I don't know how you do it... Naltrexone is awesome but I can't take it due to bein on Norco.. Lets stay in touch on how the GcMAF and Rituxan are working for each of us!! Take Care...
  2. HTree

HTree

northeast

Hi niall , heapsreal
    Thanks for posting about your AV use....
    I'm interested in the Famvir dosing-- Is that a pretty typical schedule? 1/2 250mg 1xday. then up to one full 250mg tablet 1xday ?

Dr. R suggested I take Imunovir before Famvir , but for various reasons I'm concerned about that/imunomods, so thinking of trying Famvir first. niall, did you take any Avs before ampligen? or will Famvir be your first AV?

@heaps. please remind me of your Famvir dosing?
    (wondering if it's different for men/women / different size folks)

Also, are your Famvir pills cut-able? I think i want to start with tinyest dose, then work up, since i feel so hypersensitive to things!

Thanks for the info friends!
    Peace
    Htree
    Jacque likes this.
  3. heapsreal

heapsreal iherb 10% discount code OPA989,

australia (brisbane)
    I take 250mg twice a day and use 500mg tablet and use a pill cutter to cut them. I have used higher doses but didnt notice any difference doing so. I also think alot has to do with what one can afford when it comes to dosing, size probably plays a factor, im a big guy so i dont know if its an importants factor. I know the half life of antivirals is quite short as in a few hours but i do know famvir has an intracellular half life of 18hrs, this might play a big role and maybe one only needs once a day dosing.

The question of using famvir or immunovir, i would go by what your doc thinks as she has a great deal of experience with this stuff.

cheers!!!
  4. heapsreal

heapsreal iherb 10% discount code OPA989,

australia (brisbane)
    Pharmacodynamic properties
    Pharmacotherapeutic group: Oral antiviral agent, ATC code: JO5A B09
    Virology
    Famciclovir is the oral form of the antiviral compound: penciclovir. Famciclovir is rapidly
    converted
    in vivo into penciclovir, which has demonstrable in vitro activity against herpes
    simplex viruses (HSV types 1 and 2) and varicella zoster virus (VZV). The antiviral effect of
    orally administered famciclovir has been demonstrated in several animal models: this effect
    is due to
    in vivo conversion to penciclovir.
    Penciclovir targets virus-infected cells where it is rapidly converted into penciclovirtriphosphate
    (mediated via virus-induced thymidine kinase). The triphosphate inhibits viral
    DNA polymerase by competition with deoxyguanosine triphosphate and is incorporated into
    the extending DNA chain, preventing significant chain elongation. Consequently, viral DNA
    synthesis and, therefore, viral replication are inhibited.
    This triphosphate persists in infected cells in excess of 12 hours. The long intracellular halflife
    of penciclovir triphosphate ensures prolonged antiviral activity, as demonstrated in cell
    cultures with HSV-1 and HSV-2 and in animal studies.
  5. August59

August59 Daughters High School Graduation

Upstate SC, USA
    IMHO Dr. Rey is applying the Ampligen and Famvir in the best way. If she is trying to lower the HHV-6 though I was of the understanding was that Valcyte was the only AV to work against HHV-6. I have not been keeping up with it that much, so i'm sure she has it under control. I do know I wouldn't want to be taking Ampligen at the same time as trying to lower HHV-6. HHV-6 is a nasty virus and bringing it under control is necessary. It loves to hang out in the brain causing havoc especially while CMV and/or EBV are activated.

I think you should feel very lucky as she sounds as if she has done her homework and knows how to work the medications to get you well. She seems to know to let your body dictate the dosage and when to let the body detox. She will be known for getting good results with the Ampligen and AV as she is reading you and your body , instead of the label on the bottle.

I'm JEALOUS!! Really hope thing work out good for you.
    SOC likes this.
  6. niall

niall

Florida
    I'm just home from receiving my last dose of Ampligen and am happy that the treadmill which I have been on is over. I have my prescriptions for the Famvir and Doxepin elixir (sleep). I am not going to continue the LDN as I have been taking it for two years and the only benefit it gave was a certain decrease in appetite. I will keep everyone posted on what happens in the future. I am curious to see if my sore throat, muscle pain etc. decreases as I detoxify from Ampligen.
    There was a lady representing Hemispherx at the clinic this morning. I had a chance to talk to her and tell her of my experiences. I emphasized to her that there are so many patients with CFS in need of some FDA approved drug to treat their illness and hoped Ampligen would be approved soon. She said her company is trying very hard to accomplish that and have just submitted the results of studies they have done. I hope that this is of some encouragement to everyone who is so ill and tired of waiting for effective treatment.
    Laurissa, HTree, August59 and 2 others like this.
  7. niall

niall

Florida
    I took Valcyte in 2009 for six months with no improvement. I was on Imunovir before I started Ampligen. I think it helped keep up my NK cells and therefore gave me a bit more energy. The dosing for Famvir does sound low but that is what Dr. Klimas and Dr. Rey are recommending now.

See more popular forum discussions.