• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Epsom salt baths or Magnesium oil?

Seadragon

Hi,

I'm trying to get relief from severe muscle pain and neuropathic pain.

I know Magnesium is supposed to be good but oral supplementation didn't seem to help me much.

I'm wondering which might be more effective - Magnesium oil applied to the skin after a bath or shower or Epsom Salt baths - also I have heard of Epsom salt baths with hydrogen peroxide.

Which out of the three options might be most helpful for muscle pain, neuropathic pain and to aid relaxation?

Thanks,

Esperanza x

L'engle

moogle
I take an epsom salts bath when I can but it's not always convenient. I have to say I generally feel much better than average for me after a soak with epsom salts. I also have magnesium oil. The only problem with it is it dries the skin where you put it so you have to either vary the location or learn to wash it off befor it dries your skin. I think both are pretty good. I take alta brand magnesium chloride as well, though only up to two tablets a day. All these, whenever I remember to take them, seem to help significantly with constricted head pain and muscle aches. I hope you can find some relief with magnesium as well. It's one of my favourite supplements.

Seadragon

I take an epsom salts bath when I can but it's not always convenient. I have to say I generally feel much better than average for me after a soak with epsom salts. I also have magnesium oil. The only problem with it is it dries the skin where you put it so you have to either vary the location or learn to wash it off befor it dries your skin. I think both are pretty good. I take alta brand magnesium chloride as well, though only up to two tablets a day. All these, whenever I remember to take them, seem to help significantly with constricted head pain and muscle aches. I hope you can find some relief with magnesium as well. It's one of my favourite supplements.

Thanks - is Magnesium Chloride better than other versions? I haven't tried that only Mag Citrate and Mag Glycinate.

Will give the Epsom and Mag oil a try :)

Esperanza x

Dreambirdie

work in progress
I use Ancient Minerals magnesium oil, which is the brand I have preferred.

I tried Sun Foods, but it made me feel very toxic, and then I found out the source was the Dead Sea. Yikes!

L'engle

moogle
Thanks - is Magnesium Chloride better than other versions? I haven't tried that only Mag Citrate and Mag Glycinate.

Will give the Epsom and Mag oil a try :)

Esperanza x

I had this kind recommended to me and it seems pretty good. I haven't tried too many others. Might want to try a few brand and see what helps.

topaz

You need to add at least one cup of epsom to the bath and soak for at least 30 minutes. I find this beneficial. Dont use anything else in the water, including soap as this will interfere with absorption.

Hope it works for you

I use Magnesium Sulfate Cream from Kirkman labs - a topical cream of epsom salts - great if you don't need all-over relief, but want to focus on some local areas. It's amazing for all sorts of aches and pains (shoulders, arms, knees), sinus stuffiness, headaches (use on forehead and back of neck). Also, is not drying like people have described the oil as being, but rather is quite soothing.
Also use Ionic Magnesium, a sublingual spray of Magnesium Gluconate, by Vinco, Inc. - good for throat and also greatly calming for times of sensory overwhelm.
Have tried Magnesium + Taurine injections, but they're really painful and I find the other 2 are of enough benefit without being so aversive!

ixchelkali

For me, Epsom salts in a warm bath helps with pain and is relaxing, but because of problems with temperature regulation, a warm bath wipes me out. Still, I'd try that first, since Epsom salts are cheap. Maybe try it in tepid water, though. I haven't tried magnesium oil, so I can't compare the two.