1. Patients launch $1.27 million crowdfunding campaign for ME/CFS gut microbiome study.
    Check out the website, Facebook and Twitter. Join in donate and spread the word!
Nitric oxide and its possible implication in ME/CFS (Part 1 of 2)
Andrew Gladman explores the current and historic hypotheses relating to nitric oxide problems in ME/CFS. Part 1 of a 2-part series puts nitric oxide under the microscope and explores what it is, what it does and why it is so frequently discussed in the world of ME/CFS. Part 1 focuses...
Discuss the article on the Forums.

EPO http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Erythropoietin

Discussion in 'Problems Standing: Orthostatic Intolerance; POTS' started by Allyson, Nov 24, 2013.

1. Allyson

Allyson *****

Australia, Melbourne
  2. WillowJ

WillowJ Senior Member

WA, USA
    EPO is a hormone that increases red cells. It does not affect plasma volume. If plasma volume is low, EPO (or EPO alone) will not solve the problem. You would have tests showing anemia, if you needed EPO alone.

Whether saline and EPO could be used together if low blood volume were established (for instance, with one of those nuclear blood volume tests), I do not know.

fwiw, EPO is expensive.

Here's an ER primer on treating acute and very severe hypovalemia (causing shock; other types of shock are also covered); but the principles would be similar for hypovalemia due to OI/POTS.
    http://faculty.ksu.edu.sa/abuadas/Documents/PressorUpdate.pdf
    Last edited: Nov 25, 2013
    Allyson, SickOfSickness and Valentijn like this.
  3. Allyson

Allyson *****

Australia, Melbourne

Many thanks indeed WIllow

Well I do not need EPO then - my red cell count reads as high due to low plasma volume but in fact is normal f my plasma volume is corrected

thanks, yes what I need is plasma replacement

I have polyuria, polydipsia and nocturia most of the time - since I was about 30 I think

M B 12 seems to stop it all though for about 7-10 days after each shot.

I will read through that info now - I hear ithe US they hae IV clinics where you go in for a fortnightly IV saline infusion and that helps many - plain saline one time, saline with vitamins the next - I have a pic of it somewhere

thanks again,

Ally
    WillowJ likes this.
  4. heapsreal

heapsreal iherb 10% discount code OPA989,

australia (brisbane)
    this was one of the main drugs lance armstrong used.
    Maybe we should all be seeing the doctors of these high performance athletes??
    I think there is probably some good knowledge out there that could help us but its probably to controversial and expensive, plus we dont get paid by sponsors like coke and nike.

We use to use an iv fluid called haemaccel(unsure of spelling) for severe hypovolemia and it was used in preference to saline as it lasted longer in the system to help keep blood pressure up?? http://home.intekom.com/pharm/hmr/haemacel.htmlif one benefits from saline iv's these may last longer??
    Valentijn, WillowJ and Allyson like this.
  5. Sushi

Sushi Moderator and Senior Member Albuquerque

Albuquerque
    Many patients with dysautonomia take this drug with some success.

Sushi
    Allyson likes this.
  6. Allyson

Allyson *****

Australia, Melbourne

do you mean EPO here Sushi? I have never heard of anyone taking it to date - would they not have to test blood volume and RCC first before giving it?

AND so few of us seem to have had our blood volume tested

cheers

ALLY
  7. Allyson

Allyson *****

Australia, Melbourne

yes thanks HEAPS

Hemacell is used fairly regularly in hospital settings for shock, bleed etc as you say

the link did not open though for me

I wonder why more of us do not get that?
    best

Ally
  8. Sushi

Sushi Moderator and Senior Member Albuquerque

Albuquerque
    I was confusing a couple of things from a post by Rich--but there is a relationship. I'll just paste in Rich's post:

(my bolding)
    WillowJ likes this.
  9. ahimsa

ahimsa Senior Member

Oregon, USA
    I have no personal experience with the drug but I noticed that it's one of the drugs mentioned on the "what helps" page at dinet.org -- see http://www.dinet.org/what_helps.htm and scroll down

This page has a long list of drugs listed alphabetically. Many of them may not be very helpful and/or may have side effects that are not tolerable. And I don't know when the page was last updated. Just FYI.
    WillowJ and Allyson like this.

See more popular forum discussions.